Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

our clothes dryer model DLEX2501W about two years old started

our clothes dryer model DLEX2501W about two years old started to smell like smoke and then tripped the 30 amp breaker. Could this be a heating element gone bad?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good evening. Did the smoke smell electrical or more of a rubbery smell ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hmmm. Im not really sure on that. My wife say electrical but I dont think so.

We were laying in bed and we heard almost a bang type of sound from the dryer. Thats what made me get up a see what happened. When I got close I noticed the smell. The breaker box is in the basement.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The more I think about it I would go with electrical smell
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay but the banging bothers me. I think the drum stopped and the belt either kept going or the motor overheated
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I turned it on again and the drum turned
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
alright. is it heating ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didnt leave it on for just a few seconds. I was afraid tolet tolet it run for along time thinking electrical issue. Should i try to run it?

The other thing I should add. My wife ran the dryer in the morning and noticed a semll in the house. Not knowing it came from the dryer. We just got a new range and turned it on for the first time the night prior. We thought the odor was coming from the range being brand new.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
oh okay. well two things here, when you use a new range for the first time it can smell funny. so thats definitely a possibly , what you need to do is run the dryer for a couple of minutes and see if it has that burning smell if so shut it off right away. try to see if it heated up at all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does this model of dryer have 2 heating elements?

I know the smell defintely came from the dryer. We thought it was the range only during the morning episode. The evening time we knew for sure it was the dryer.

When I turn it on anything I should look for? Speed of the drum turning? smell right away?

Thanks!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
what I suggest is to start the dryer and let it run (if it will) for about 3 minutes. then shut it off and see if its heating . only one heating element in this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. I'll turn it on.

Give me a few minutes to get back to you
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I turned it on and the drum was turning fine. Maybe just over a minute after turning it on I heard a "pop" sound from the backside of the dryer and it shut off. Didn't notice a smell.

Heat was slight. Not sure how hot it would get in just a minute.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay , sounds like the heating element is shorted. don't turn it on anymore for now. do you have a volt meter and know how to check continuity ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay good. the element has coils inside. what happen s a lot is one of the coils shorts out against the heater can. if you take a continuity test between the heater can and one of the heater main lines in (red) see if there continuity. if so the heater has shorted to the can. the other test is check the two wires (with one removed) on the heater and see if you get continuity. this will tell you if the heater is good. let me know. the heater if # XXXXX on this diagram. you will need to remove the front of the dryer to access this.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.