Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello, I have a Whirlpool LSR7233BQ1 washer with an agitation

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Whirlpool LSR7233BQ1 washer with an agitation problem. The problem is very simple. The washer stops after the first few minutes of agitation and completes the rest of the cycle all the way to the end. None of the other steps have an issue. It does not seem to be a timer since the cycle completes, does not seem to be the motor since the other steps are OK and there are no strange sounds or smells, does not seem to be the door switch since it doesn't stop on any other steps. The only other clue is that it first started acting up on the delicate cycle, then started on the regular cycle about a month later. That seems to say timer to me, but even if the full cycle finishes? Any ideas? Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good evening. when you say the washer stops after a few minutes of agitating what does it do ? go right to drain ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it times through the agitation cycle without agitating. So let's say the agitation is supposed to take 15min, it agitates for 3min, stops, and then sits for 12min before spin rinse starts.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
alright, when that happens and it sits for 12 minutes and then goes to spin and rinse if you were to go back and try the agitate before it had a chance to sit for 12 minutes does it agitate again?what I mean is if you were to turn the timer all the way around to the beginning of the cycle will it agitate again ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been told by my wife that, yes, it will agitate again for another several minutes. And it will do this over and over for as many times as she does it. That is the only way she has been able to get a full wash cycle done. :)
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
mmmm. okay, well that tells me its not the motor overheating. the timer however is the most likely culprit in this. even though it will go through the rest of the cycle the contacts inside the timer are bad. the timer of course is basically a clock with contacts. this means the timer can complete the cycle . the contacts are most likely burnt and don't keep engaged.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thanks. I guess I should have gone with my gut and just replaced the timer. Is replacement completely necessary, or can the contacts be easily cleaned or replaced?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

I wish the timer contacts were easy to fix I'd be rich ! LOL no unfortunately the timer will need to be replaced. I'm giving you a link to order the timer. the reason I give you this link is they give a 100% guaranty return on all parts . even if its been installed. as long as I've been doing this nothing is 100% guaranteed so at least your not stuck if by chance this is deeper than we think. I believe you'll be all set though. Smile. heres the link.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Timer/285938/1016893?modelNumber=LSR7233BQ1 thanks and have a great weekend, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thanks very much for your help. I might be doing something wrong, but for some reason the rating links are greyed out and I can't select a rating. Is there anything specific I'm supposed to do?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Boy I don't know .I'll report that .if you cant pick a rating I don't get paid.I'll look into that right away. thanks. you have been a pleasure to help Smile. Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan, FYI, the new timer did not fix it ... it behaves exactly the same. I'm stumped.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm stumped too ! theres not much else unless the motor is bad. its a weird problem. did you get the timer at repair clinic ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, of course I tried to save a few bucks and found it online for $90. I'll see what their return policy is. Thanks for responding even after the fact.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
your welcome. thanks , Bryan