Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a maytag washer model#mtw5600tq1.Agitation cycle sounded

I have a maytag washer model#mtw5600tq1.Agitation cycle sounded like the motor was locked up.I tried pulling the selector knob in and out to get it to start.It started but was very loud and sounded like the back and forth agitation motion was out of sync and erratic
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

did this sound like something broke ? like a rattling sound ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes but no rattling. More like it didn't know whether to go backward or foreward if that makes any sense. At first it just hummed and did nothing
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay. try this . put this in spin. does it drain but not spin?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had tipped it on its side to look underneath,stood it back up,hooked it back up and now it works! seems loud though,maybe because its empty.could something have jammed it?don't get it
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
sounds like the direct drive coupling is going on this. was there any black like rubber pieces on the floor when you did that ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no.all clean like new.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

okay well what you need to do is try a load and let me know if it runs. see if it spins. can you do that ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
doing it now
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay let me know. getting late so hopefully it runs right. kinda strange the noise though. that bothers me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

damn thing ran perfect.quieted down with a load in.confused why it locked up.motor?drive?sorry to waste your time.may just do it again tomorrow for all I know

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
my guess on this is you had something get stuck in the pump. turning this over must have jarred it lose. I wish I had a definitive answer for you. you can come back and I will help you at any time if this happens again. thanks, Bryan