Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Kitchenaid wall oven #KEMS308GSS2 oven door is stuck in

My Kitchenaid wall oven #KEMS308GSS2 oven door is stuck in the locked position after a cleaning cycle. I've reset the breaker and the PF id 30 error code comes up. A previous post from someone you helped mentioned an easy way to get the door open. Can you tell me how to get the door unlocked? I can't remove the oven without destroying it if I can't open the door. Please help. Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the error PF id 30 should reset if you push any buttons, if not then it sounds like you have a shorted display control board that will need to be replaced. Try turning the breaker off to the unit for 60 seconds to see if it will reset.  If not, then try to set the self clean, wait 60 seconds and cancel it to see if that will reset the door latch assembly.  If nothing resets the door lock, then you just need to manually open the door and replace the door latch assembly.  It's not easy to manually unlock the door.  You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top.  Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the two side trims and remove the control panel to replace the control board.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info. I will have to manually open the door. I understand the idea of using the coat hanger. Where is the latch? Upper left or right? Mid left or right? Both sides?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
The latch is directly in the middle of the door from left to right. And it's about 2 or 3 inches down from the top of the door.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I got the door open, thanks. My wife has a baking project due in the morning and I just need to get the oven functional again asap. I removed the vent grill and can see the latch assembly. How can I push the latch back into the open position. How do I remove the latch assembly?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
You can't, that's not something you can do until you fix the problem. And the door latch isn't your problem if the display shows PF id 30--you have a bad display control board.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The oven is over 10 years old. Any idea of what it will cost to replace the display control board? Parts and labor?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
The display board is about $300 and the cost of labor would be about $150, so the total to replace the part would be $450.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I've got the oven working again, but the oven light won't turn off when the door is closed. Is this part of the broken latch assembly.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That would likely be part of the broken latch yes. The latch does control the light on this oven.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can I get at the latch assembly?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
You just have to remove the screws going into the vent below the control panel. Remove the vent panel and thats about as much access as you get I believe.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've now got everything working fine on the oven except the latch. I can see the light with that is part of the latch assembly. I can buy a new latch assembly. How do I get access to replace the latch assembly? This is a wall unit with the oven below the microwave.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
This is probably one of the hardest latches in the market to replace. If you have a microwave between and you can't just remove the vent panel to access the latch assembly, the entire double oven will need to be uninstalled, the side panels removed, and the microwave split away from the oven to gain access.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did the install and understand what is involved. Does the latch assembly mount in place with mounting screws? I'm looking at the part on-line now and don't see any mounting screws? Does it simply get seated in some kind of slot?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the latch assembly is just held down by 2 or 3 screws going into the panel above the oven.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see one screw on the right that I can get at with a 90 degree screw driver. Do you know where the others might be?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That is what I use is a 90 degree screwdriver when I remove the front vent panel. But I couldn't say exactly where the other screws would be without being there and looking. Usually there is one on the right and one on the left somewhere.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Two screws up front, left & right, that are reachable with a 90 degree screw driver. Just got it out. Thanks.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
awesome, I'm glad you got it out.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I see this question is still open, is there anything else I can help you with today?
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.