SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

viking stove VGIC36 with sealed burners. I have isolated one of the burners..that was not

viking stove VGIC36 with sealed burners.
I have isolated one of the burners..that was not getting a spark from ignitor....
1. the ignitor is good.
2. the offending burner that will not spark is loose (ie ..not secure on the cook top.) So I think it is not getting a good ground to the frame of the cooktop in order to spark
Question...I do not see how to lift the one piece sealed burner plate ( this is a one piece for all 6 burners.)
Once I lift it up I can hopefully tighten the burner to the burner bucket plate and get a good ground....Help..Doug
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 2 years ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. There is a center locking ring to the top. It will either be a forked collar or have two holes drilled in the top. Which style is it? I'm sure I can help/ Thanks, Sam

Customer:

Hi Sam,

Customer:

I do not see the forked collar or the two screws.

Customer:

There is a one piece black bucket for the six burners. This one piece black bucket has a lip around all four sides of the bucket. That lip fits under the stainless steel top side of the stove.

Customer:

I do not see s forked collar or screws or associated locking ring...I am assuming that you are looking from the top side of the cook top. There is a trim strip that is located just below the control knobs. With this trim strip off I can see into the recess UNDER the burners. It is just enough room to stick my skinny arm half way into this recess. But, I know there must be a way to lift the whole cooktop portion of this stove so as to allow full access to the underside of the burners.

Customer:

But I do see what you are describing as a locking ring. ...More info please...Thanks, Doug

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Doug. I was referring to is called the venturi. It is a nut that is at the center of each burner. This nut holds each burner base down. This is the loose nut. If it is seized you will need to cut it off. To remove the ignitor you will need to remove this nut on the burner having issues to pry off the ignitor and the aluminum collar its attached too. If you want to remove the whole top you are correct the the lips at the edges prevent you from taking the top off unless you pull the unit and remove the side panels first. Not fun. You shouldn't have to do that though. Just remove the nut holding the burner base down and remove to gain access.

Customer:

Thanks Sam...ok I am with you now...

Customer:

This venturi or brass nut holds down the aluminum burner base. The burner base holds the ignitor....Am I correct on all this now.?

Customer:

Ok Sam I just tried to turn the venturi on another burner and I see it does turn and is threaded....The burner I have trouble with will not turn. This is just a smooth round brass venturi so cant get a tool on it ...just can grab and try to turn by hand...am I correct this just tightens by HAND only no tool? And If no tool I can see how they can sieze up. I will work on it to see if I can get it loose

Customer:

ok...I got it off and all am reassembling it....so thanks for solving my problem....just one question...

Customer:

Is there an anti seize compound that is safe to use on those threads so as to be able to periodically tighten those brass venturis. That way if a problem arises in the future I can disassemble or tighten as needed....again thanks for your help...problem solved

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

There is a product I use called magnalube that is a teflon grease that will helps a lot. You have to use a belt wrench (oil can style) to remove some venturi's and some you have to cut. Not the best design. Glad you were able to break it free and get it all working. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: Thank you
Customer: Thank you sam
Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman