Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I changed the filter in my GE Profile refrigerator and it still

Customer Question

I changed the filter in my GE Profile refrigerator and it still will not make ice nor water will not dispense from the outside door dispenser. What is the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? And I know the refrigerator isn't making ice, but if you tell it to dispense ice out the door, do you hear the motor running like it's trying to dispense ice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I hear the motor, but nothing comes out
the model number is XXXXX Serial number is XXXXX
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If neither the ice or the water are working, then likely you have an issue with the filter system or the refrigerator is just not getting water from the house. Make sure you're getting water from your house to the refrigerator and if so, install the filter bypass plug if you have one. If not, below is a link to the bypass part.

CLICK HERE

If it still doesn't work at that time, then it sounds like you have 2 problems, not just one because there isn't anything else that ties the water dispenser and icemaker together.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I check to see if I am getting water from my house? Where can I find filter bypass plug?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
You'd need to pull the refrigerator forward, turn the water off to the refrigerator, and disconnect the water supply line coming from the house on the back of the refrigerator. Then put the water line in a bucket to see if it fills up the bucket quickly.

The filter bypass plug is something that comes with the refrigerator when you first buy it, but if you don't still have it, you'd need to get a new one, remove the filter, and insert the filter plug to bypass the filter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I need more information please. I disconnected the water supply line from the house and maybe two tablespoons of water came out. The supply is cut off though. I did find the filter bypass. I need to remove the filter bypass that is already in right. I DON'T MEAN TO SOUND DUMB!!!!! THIS IS NOT A LADIES THING... I AM TRYING...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Lets just do one thing at a time. There is no need to worry about the filter bypass if you're not getting water to the refrigerator. Now that the water line is disconnected from the refrigerator, put it in a bucket and turn the water on, does the water come shooting out and fill up the bucket quickly for about 10-15 seconds? After the test you can turn the water off again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Water did fill the bucket. I have connected the water line back up. Whats next.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Next is to turn the water back onto the refrigerator. Unscrew the filter and screw in the filter bypass plug and try to dispense water to see if it comes out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The filter bypass is plugged in and water is coming out from the door. Whats next?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
water "IS"? Or "IS NOT"?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Water "IS" coming out
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
ok good, so now we know the problem is with the filter or filter housing. Try to install the filter again and make sure it's turned in all the way. If it still won't dispense, then you need to replace the filter receptacle because it's not switching over properly to allow water through the filter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I remove the filter bypass right... and install the filter replacement cartridge?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced the filter and water is coming out the door dispenser. Whats next to make sure it is working and my ice dispenser works?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
You'll just have to wait for the icemaker for 24 hours. It sounds like you just didn't have the filter pushed in all the way or something like that because it's all working now it appears.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I press the adjust freezer temp and the adjust refrigerator temp do I press reset or how do I reset freezer to 0 and refrigerator to 37 (I know about the 24hour wait time) If I try one last time to set them will they adjust in 24 hour period. I have previously been pressing trying to reset...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
You just set the temperature by adjusting the numbers---refer to your manual if you need to. Either way, once the temperature is adjusted, the display will revert back to the "actual temperature" after a few seconds so you can see what the actual temperature is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The actual temp for freezer is 11. If this is the actual temp seem like I would have ice making.
The actual temp for refrigerator is 58
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
no, ice will not make until it's ready. As I said, you must wait 24 hours.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As I can see the only purpose of the filter bypass is to help reset the water supply and then I remove it right.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That is correct, yes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You were OUTSTANDING. THANKS.....
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
no problem and good luck.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO NOW AND CLOSE OUT..I DO WANT YOU TO GET PAID
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
You have already done everything you need to. Just close your window browser if you want to close out.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It has been 24 hours and now water is not coming out the door and the ice maker is not making ice.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what to tell you. Try putting in the filter bypass cap again. If it doesn't work, it might be time to call a technician out to see what is going on. If putting in the bypass cap works, then the filter receptacle needs to be replaced.