Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have an LG LFX25976ST Refrigerator. My ice maker has quit

I have an LG LFX25976ST Refrigerator. My ice maker has quit working. When it first stopped, I realized I needed to replace my water filter. After replacing the filter, my ice maker would still not work. The water dispenser works fine. When I installed the water filter, I purged about 2 gallons of water through the dispenser.

There is a small test button in the ice maker that I have tried to use, but with no results. This refrigerator is less than two years old.

I am an electrical engineer, and I am capable of making most home repairs myself. Please provide a few procedures I can try before calling a repair service. Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

LG icemakers are a bit different.  Open the door and push the button on the bottom of the icemaker. Hold it for 15 seconds.   You should see the icemaker start to cycle.  If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad.  If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube above the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out.  If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need time to try a hair dryer. I am going to mthe store to purchase one.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
OK good luck, either way you know which direction to go based on the results now.