Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

The freezer stopped working in my Frigidaire Gallery refrigerator

Customer Question

The freezer stopped working in my Frigidaire Gallery refrigerator freezer combo
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and I will use all my training and knowledge of 40 years to help you with your Problem today ,, thanks

-Could you explain your situation a little more and send me the model number please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, Larry. Yesterday, we noticed things melted in the freezer. We thought the door might not have been all the way closed, but this morning, I found the door securely closed but the ice in the ice tray was completely melted. Also, it seems that the refrigerator is cool, but not as cool as it should be.

The model number is XXXXX

Thanks for your help!

- Jay
look inside the freezer and tell me if their is frost on the inside back panel and if the fan inside is blowing please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No frost inside the freezer.
The fan is blowing.
slide out the fridge, remove the back and feel of the compressor (large black dome) and tell me if it feels cool, warm or hot plus if the fan beside it is blowing ,, thanks
you still with me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Larry,
The compressor is hot and the insulation next to it seems scorched. the fan is not blowing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about the delay before - I forgot to hit 'send!'
you need to replace that fan motor, you can set a fan behind the fridge to blow on the compressor to cool it and to cool the fridge until you get the motor to replace, the part number for the motor is(NNN) NNN-NNNN which cost about $46 and you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer near you and this will fix the fridge ,, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, Larry. One more question: do you think I can replace the fan motor myself, or does it require special expertise?
you can do this yourself, just remove the fan blade and then the 3 screws on the back and set it out, unplug and swap out
graphic
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just received the part and am having some difficulties, as follows:
First of all, it looks like the fan is set up to blow away from the compressor - does that make sense?
Second, we're now trying to remove the fan motor and having great difficulty. It actually looks a little different than the new part (the new part is exactly as shown in your picture above). Instead of having a wire coming out of it and a plug, it looks like some wires actually plug into the fan motor, and we're having difficulty unplugging.
Could it be that part number XXXXXXXXXX is not the correct part?
BTW, should the fan blades just slide off, or screw off? We're trying to remove them so we can handle the old fan motor more easily.
Thanks,
Jay
the fan does suck the air across the compressor and blow onto the coil, as far as the wiring you may have to cut the wires and tie together, i have had to do it this way quite a few times