Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Our 50 pint Kenmore(NNN) NNN-NNNNdehumidifier stopped collecting

Our 50 pint Kenmore(NNN) NNN-NNNNdehumidifier stopped collecting water after 2 years. The motor runs all day with no water collection. No other signs of damage, freeze up, etc. It's located in a basement with several feet of open space around it. What do I do to fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

is it the fan you hear running or is the compressor running ? there is a difference. if the compressor is not running it wont collect any moisture from the air. the compressor is the black round ball in the back. is that running ? also theres more to the model # XXXXX you get that for me ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Both seem to be running. I can feel the fan blowing. When I turn it on, the compressor makes a start-up noise that sounds different from the fan. Yes, I can give you any number you need off the machine. Do I have to open the back to do that?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
there should be a tag on the back with the full model # XXXXX if you can hear the compressor comming on and running its not a good sign. this means its out of freon. common for these after a few years of use. the compressor uses freon like a refrigerator and draws the moisture out of the air by condensing it. if your sure the compressor is running you need to have this recharged by an HVAC certified tech. its best to find a local shop you can take this to and save a service call. they can tell you what a recharge will cost.