Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

The green light is blinking. The plastic part with tines broke

The green light is blinking. The plastic part with tines broke at right end (one tine). I bought another part (6 >PP<) installed, and within a couple of hours, something pushed it up so that the same place on the new part was trying to break again.

The switch above the green light was reset which caused it to stop blinking. When we checked the new part, saw the same problem existed and removed it, the light was (and is), blinking again.

We were south for about 7 months over the winter and didn't use the unit. Although the water was shut off, something must have frozen incorrectly and jammed things.

Please help if possible.

Dick Davis
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Can you tell us is the a refrigerator your talking about ? If so do you have the make and Model number ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
OK, this is a G.E. side by side. is it the green light on the ice maker thats blinking ? did you say you replaced the ice maker and its happening again ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. Do you recognize the part number I gave you?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
The number you gave me is the model # XXXXX a G.E. side by side refrigerator.can you tell me what the problem is in a little more detail ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The part number I gave you was 6 >PP<. That's the part that I replaced.

Please re-read my original note and know that's the best I can do.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
I saw that but that part number doesn't come up. can you tell me is that part in the ice make or the ice auger ? if not can you tell me which part it is ? I'm trying to help but the part number you gave me doesn't come up. where did you buy it ? do you have a link so I can see it ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The part as I described is plastic, with 6 tines (like a fork) the I'm sure cover the ice maker. On each end of those is another, smaller piece that helps hold the unit in place. The piece that broke originally is made thicker to fit into a slot of some kind and on that end of the main part of the piece is a hole that attaches to the unit itself.

When I went down to the local appliance store in this little town, his service guy had the new part on his truck.

Would I be just as well off to get that person out here?

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Okay I understand now. the ejector fingers are binding up . normally when this happens its cause by water dripping into the ice maker when its sitting after it fills. this causes the ice maker to get above the water level and freeze binding up the fingers so when this goes to harvest the fingers jam . this is caused by the electronic fill valve allowing water to drip. (probably ever so slowly) you wouldn't notice it. since this was sitting for an extended period of time while you were away then the valve is not shutting tightly and will need to be replaced. sorry for misunderstanding you at can order the valve @ or pick one up from the supply house. replacing this is easy and if you click the link above theres a video to show you how. thanks and best wishes, Bryan