Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

Hello, I have a Whirlpool ED5CHQXKQ03 Refrigerator and I am

I have a Whirlpool ED5CHQXKQ03 Refrigerator and I am trying to replace the ice maker chute flap. However, I can't get the front cover off. Is there some trick I am missing?
Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago via PartSelect.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try and help you with your issue.

Tim Alan :

Yes there is a trick

Tim Alan :

at the very bottom of the control panel are 2 notches

Customer:

I saw those

Tim Alan :

or slots, insert a small screw driver and push down on the control panel while twisting your flat screw driver

Tim Alan :

when you do that it pops right off

Customer:

I removed the overflow grille and saw the two slots. When I pushed on them with a screwdriver they didn't seem to move at all.

Tim Alan :

you may be inserting the screw driver too far

Customer:

Do I need two screwdrivers?

Tim Alan :

just a little way into the slot, if you go too far you will catch the bracket

Tim Alan :

no just one

Tim Alan :

go one at a time

Customer:

How far would you say is too far? Quarter of an inch? Half an inch?

Tim Alan :

quarter of an inch is all you should need, it just needs a little tweat with the screwdriver to pop it loose

Tim Alan :

tweak not tweat

Customer:

Also, are the slots supposed to move? Or is it just supposed to be a guide to where I stick my screwdriver behind the plastic part of the front cover?

Tim Alan :

No they won't move, all that is is a guide or opening in the panel that allows for just that purpose, just little opens for a screw driver to fit between the control panel and door

Customer:

Ok, so I just put my screwdriver in about a quarter of an inch and twist, then push down on the top of the panel. I do this for both sides?

Tim Alan :

Most of the time when you get one side loose it will just fall right off

Tim Alan :

it's harder then it looks

Tim Alan :

once you do it you will say wow that was easy

Customer:

Ok, I will try that tonight. Thank you.

Tim Alan :

your welcome, have a great day

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service