Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a maytag clothes washer that will not spin with clothes

Customer Question

I have a maytag clothes washer that will not spin with clothes in it. They come out heavy and full of water. I can wash but no spin. I have opened the door to watch it and the agitator turnes during the spin cycle and the tub spins, but not very fast. I have used your help before and look forward to helping me get my washer fixed.

Matthew
on the job training
honey do list services HA HA HA
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get me the full model # ? thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MAV408DAWW
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay great! what you need to do is tip the machine back and underneath is the belt. it goes around 3 pulleys. roll the belt off and replace it. its very simple on this machine. these belts wear and stretch and need to be replaced every few years. you can order one on line @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Belt/21352320/1318 or pick one up locally. the part # XXXXX XXXXX this will take care of your issue. thanks for choosing Just Answer again for your appliance needs. well wishes, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Did my information help ? please let me know if you need further assistance . If not and I have helped please rate me by pressing one of the happy faces at the bottom of the page, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bryan hi. The new belt did not help very much at all. My wife was set on getting a repair man. My family has used their services for 20+ yrs so I felt confident. He told us it was a thrust bearing that was needing replacement. He did so ($$$$$ ouch) and the machine worked great for 7 loads. The last cycle it began to make a grinding thumping noise. The 8th cycle it stopped completely mid cycle with soapy water full (it was in the wash cycle). My wife thought their was an electrical burn smell, I checked it out and it I think it could also be a rubber/plastic burn. The machine will not turn on in any setting. the breakers and tyhe outlet have all been checked and work fine.

Please help.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

were you able to get the water out of this ? I was wondering if you could tip the machine back and roll the belt off and spin the pump pulley, make sure something didn't get caught it the pump and stop this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no i did not any suggestions to getting the water out other than scouping it out with a pitcher?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Actually no, I wish I did have an easy way to empty this. With the machine not running the only way is to bail it, sorry,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
going to do so. will be back soon.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay, thanks talk then.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan, i gave the machine a shot and it turned on (it worked) in spin cycle the grinding noise was still there. Water began to come out of the bottom of the machine. The burning smell I am sure it is rubber/plastic was also back. I feft underneath and was able to turn the pulley.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay try opening this up. the front panel comes off. # 16 on this diagram.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
there are two clips you need to push in to lift the top and get to the two screws holding the front panel.the clips are # 4 push them in with a putty knife and lift the top, take the front panel off and tell me if the waters comming from the transmission shaft in the center.