Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a side by side refridgerator several years old. The

I have a side by side refridgerator several years old. The freezer side is verry cold (normal) but the regular side is loosing its cool.This condition happened last summer , but cured itself until recentley.I checked the seal and it appears to be OK .Is it worth it to fix a refridgerator these days?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

that depends on the issue whether its worth fixing or not, can you tell me the make and model # XXXXX the refrigerator ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it is a kenmore elite, mod#6569910 , ser#sl1939100, I had been communicating with another "expert" but lost communication issue with him,.

What he had me do was take the bacc cover off the back of the freezer and look at the coils to check on the amount of frost on them. I did that and found no frost on them ,but they are very cold,the fan above them is blowing cold air up thuu the ductwork toward the ice maker and also splits over to the refridgerator side ,bu i noticed verry little or no cold air comming thru the ductwork.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay if theres not frost from top to bottom on the coils (a light coating on all) you have either a freon issue(low freon) or the compressor is failing. if its the compressor its not worth repairing these days because it cost more to replace the compressor then to replace the refrigerator. if its freon your probably looking at around $200 US to recharge this. the problem is you would need an HVAC tech with the gages to tell you which is the issue. thats up to you . the freon levels would need to be checked by a tech.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes i har you ,but it seems like the the cold air is blocked from going in to the refidgerator thru the ductwork,the freezer is extremley cold , if i put a water or soda in it to cool it down, it freezes in 10 minutes, also as i mentioned to the appliance guru ,this happened about a year ago, but went away.