Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Hotpoint side-by-side refrigerator that has a freezer

I have a Hotpoint side-by-side refrigerator that has a freezer that goes into defrost mode for too long. It defrosts everything inside and melts the ice cubes before going back on, causing a big wet mess. what is wrong with it and is it something I can adjust or fix?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you open the door of the refrigerator section and on the side wall or the ceiling there is a tag with the model # XXXXX can you get that for me ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

okay this refrigerator has an electronic control board that controls the entire refrigerator.

this control runs everything from the compressor to the fans and defrost. you will need to replace the control. its located in the back of the refrigerator just above the compressor area behind an 8X10" cover. its easy to replace and comes with instructions. its basically a plug and play. (just plugs in) heres a link to order it. this is the only thing that controls the time in defrost. hope this helps, thanks Bryan