Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

how do i replace the fan switch on a jenn air electric cooktop.

how do i replace the fan switch on a jenn air electric cooktop. It is a center downdraft fan JED843 0ADB
Hello and thank you for using this service.

The knob slides off the shaft and the center grille plate comes off. If you can not get at it from removing the grille plate,, then you have to get under the unit and there is a plate that you have to remove in the center. You should be able to do it from the top as there are just a couple screws that hold the fan switch in place. If not go under the unit. Just make sure you unplug the unit first.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well I removed those two sheet metal screws that were holding what looked like a plate over the switch but the plate wouldn't come off. Do I need to bend it out. There is no access from the bottom.

You may need to bend it out as it is very tight space, all the ones I have ever done are done from the top.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you I was able to remove the fan switch from the housing and reinstall the new replacement fan switch with the ring nut but no it seems there is an issue with the wiring. The existing fan switch is a small (quarter size) fan switch with 3 wires and one of those wires is jumped to a fourth position.

The new fan switch has only two blades for wires. I have checked a couple of different sites and this is always shown as the replacement part. Any idea on how to wire the new switch?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I ended up using the white and red wires and cutting/capping the black (assume it is a ground). Thanks for your help. I would add that there are 3 screws that hold the fan switch in place in the housing. The 2 screws are accessable thru the filter/vent area and the one is accessable with a nut driver from under the unit. 2 in the front and one in the back.
Great, They are a pain to get at.