Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Caloric Prestige Gas Stove top and the oven/broiler

I have a Caloric Prestige Gas Stove top and the oven/broiler is also gas. The oven glow plug (what i call it) lights but the gas disperser/element is not lighting, i.e. not getting gas. The broiler glow plug works and the broiler ignites normally so I know gas is getting through to the oven level. Stove top gas burners work fine. Is there a sensor out that is keeping gas from being delivered to the oven element? The unit is probably 25 years old.
I just would be thankful to know what part to replace.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you can you get me the full model #?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Where's it located on the unit?

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
does this have a bottom drawer? if so look in there for a tag.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan- Yes, it has a bottom drawer. but can't find a model number tag there, or on the unit. The front says, Caloric Prestige Series upper left corner of stove information banner, and Self Cleaning Oven on the right of that banner. The unit was at the time a little unigue in that we ordered it with gas oven and broiler vs. electric on the bottom.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
From what your saying the igniter is failing and needs to be replaced, i believe yours looks like this one. does it ? it will have a silver metal guard over it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The igniter is functional as it glows just like the broiler igniter. There is no gas being delivered. If what you say is true I could basicaly light the gas element by hand. Something, a safety sensor maybe, is not allowing gas to the element for the igniter to light. Does the igniter have a sensor for gas delivery? That will shut off gas delivery? The igniter is on when I set the oven temp, but there is no gas being delivered.

And from what I saw of the photos you sent me the igniter doesn't look like the one I have.

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bryan-

There appears to be a tag of some sort under the bottom drawer, although the drawer isn't released like most nowadays. I think the model info quite possibly is on the drawer bottom. I'm not sure but I may have to figure out how to get at the info whether it being taking the drawer apart or tipping the stove on its side to read the paper stuck on the bottom of the drawer. At any rate, it sounds like the best thing to replace is the igniter and hopefully even though the current one is glowing it will solve the problem. My next challenge of course is getting the right igniter without a model number unless I figure out an easy way to get at it under the drawer. I'll check in with you Monday as that will be the day I can attack the problem further.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry i was off line when you replied. the igniter opens the gas valve and you cannot lite the burner by hand on this one its a safety. the igniter draws amperage and then allows the valve to open. even if the igniter glows its to weak to open the valve.so yes the igniter shuts off the gas delivery system. the broils works because its a separate igniter and its not used as much.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Bryan- So tell me it's as easy as removing the igniter shield, pulling the slack igniter wire out into the oven, detaching, getting the new igniter and wiring, reattaching the wire clip, putting the slack wire back into the unit and putting the shield back on, right?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
thats correct, just be really careful these are very fragile. do not hit the gray ceramic part on the metal part or you can break it easy.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan- Are the wires biased? Does it matter which wire to wire?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
It makes no difference which wire connects to which.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wow, I got her hooked up, turned on for a test, and the igniter lit and fried.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wow, I got her hooked up, turned on for a test, and the igniter lit and fried. Crap, when getting it mounted the shield must have slid into the element and it arced on itself. Oh crap.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
oh no. thats not good. it cant touch anything or it will short out. Darn ! sorry to hear that.you will need to do this all over again , if it shorted I doubt they will give you a credit for it unfortunately.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yah, I'm hosed. I actually zip tied the shield as the fit was loose with even being careful. But I had to cut the zip tie as I had tied it on the part of the shield which goes behind the oven wall. Next time I'll zip tie it out on the exposed end and then cut it after I've mounted the element. I'll beg 'em for a restock charge and cost or at least a contractor's price.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
You really cant zip tie this it will catch fire. what you need to do is squeeze the metal part a little so it fits snug. please don't tie wrap this you will have a fire.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Understood, the problem is the after market igniter is so delicate and my OEM shield has a low tolerance for fit. That's why I was concerned regarding securing it with a tie before I attached the shield to the oven. My problem came from zip tieing it where it went behind the oven wall. The reason I cut it off was to eliminate the fire issue. I can wrap it on the oven side, attach it properly with no threat of movement, and then cut the tie away. I've got it figured out, with all the issues calculated as this being the second time around. Bummer is, I'll never need to use these skills again!

Thanks for your help Bryan. Experience is what it is!