Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have an Amana 27 side-by-side refrigerator-freezer. The

We have an Amana 27 side-by-side refrigerator-freezer. The freezer portion seems to have quit - the ice melted and food thawed; however, the refrigerator side is cooling as it should. Is there a fix, a reset button or something I can do?
Thanx.
B. Tyler
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us the full model #?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
"Amana 27" is the only indication. It's on a label on the door. There is no model number inside. It seems to be an older model. We're renting and so don't know how old it is.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
do you hear any clicking or buzzing about every 3-4 minutes comming from the back where the compressor is located?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. nothing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. no sound. no cooling. The refrigerator side is working ok.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

OK, do you know if the compressor is running ? can you check the back panel inside the freezer behind the food and tell me if theres any frost at all on the panel ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no frost. All food has been removed. It's not cool inside the freezer at all. If the compressor is running, it's extremely quiet.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Open the refrigerator and check the side walls and the ceiling for a tag with the model #
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Model szd27nw

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Model szd27nw

The compressor seems to be running. There is frost on the grill on the inside bottom of the freezer.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay.what you need to do is remove that panel in the back inside the freezer and tell me what the frost pattern on the coils looks like. can you do that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't see a means to loosen or remove the panel. The cooling coil/grid I'm looking at is on the bottom, the back of the freezer. The grid runs vertically and frost lining the grids; it has not 'grown' to cover the spaces between the grids. There is light rime-type frost of the bottom back inside panel above those grids - like typically seen in a freezer. For several hours this afternoon there was no cooling and food had thawed. Since you had me start checking, this is the first sign of cooling that I've seen. The top-most shelf of the freezer hasn't yet begun to get cool.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Okay It sounds like your defrost control board is not starting the refrigerator back up after the defrost cycle. these are electronic boards and it sounds to me like the board is failing. this is the defrost board. I recommend replacing this. you can order this at the following link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Control-Board/12050506/1101?modelNumber=SZD27NW let me look up the diagrams. I'll be back shortly.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
the control is # XXXXX on this diagram. its in the back near the compressor. thanks and best wishes , Bryan