Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

RA hg

Customer Question

Whirpool side by side refrigerator no ice maker. 8 yrs old made in USA
Trips the earth leakage on board..
local electrician checked unit unplugged all plugs to isolate fault, only tests faulty when multi pin plug under base of freezer side is connected,all other( visible) plugs disconnected.

Wiring diag shows door heater but no sign how to find /test.

Any help, Peter
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This is not going to be an easy problem to find. Literally the best way to find your short is going to be unplugging the compressor separately as well as the bottom condenser fan next to the compressor. Then plug the refrigerator back in and see if it trips the board again. If so, then you know one of those parts you unplugged is faulty. If the board still trips, then go inside the refrigerator and freezer and unplug the fan behind the back of the freezer panel, so on and so forth until you determine which part is causing the board to trip.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Everything you mention is disconnected except the one plug .It only trips when this plug is connected the other end in refrig side is disconnected ??

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
unfortunately that means that something internal inside the walls or frame of the refrigerator shorted (like a broken wire). There is no way to fix this issue, the appliance would need to be replaced when this issue occurs.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hard to imagine a wire breaking,but possible? Testing from plug to plug wire by wire should isolate if this is so.

I asked about door heater? How to find and test? shown in wiring diag but not sure if fitted
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
You can't test the door heater. It's a mullion strip which isn't accessible. It's actually part of the sealed system, the high side of the compressor keeps the frame of the refrigerator and freezer from getting too cold so that the freezer door doesn't freeze shut.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The fault was in the plug I mentioned,had to open(neat hole) back of refrig to reveal a short.
Probably wires were a bit close together from manuf and slight ? moisture created the short.
Removal of plug and reconnected all wires,works perfectly. All done by local electrician.

Happy not to buy a new $1800 unit as you thought re broken? wire.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Actually that's NOT what I thought. I told you that the plug or the wires could be the issue and if they aren't, then you had a problem with a broken wire in the appliance. You said everything was ok so that only left the wires in the cabinet. It sounds like I hit the nail on the head in my opinion.