Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Kithcen Aid side by side refrigerator, model # XXXXX The

Customer Question

I have a Kithcen Aid side by side refrigerator, model # XXXXX

The Over Temperature Reset keeps alarming. It has done that on and off since I bought the unit, but it usually stops alarming after a couple of days .... this time, the alarm has been going off several times a day for the past month. I have checked to ensure that nothing is impeding proper air circulation between the freezer and the fridge. Nothing in the freezer has defrosted or appears other than frozen. However, there seems to be more frost/ice build up on the "stuff" in the freezer, but I am not sure whether I am imagining that. Beverages etc in the fridge appears to be at the right temperature.

Now, I confess that I press that button several times a day as the alarm is driving me crazy. In other words, I do not know what would happen if I just left the alarm going indefinitely.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue? Should I call a service man?

I would be grateful for your advise.

Mike Harker
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the first thing you need to do is get two cheap little thermometers at the grocery store and put one in the freezer, and the other stick in a glass of water and put it in the refrigerator. You must do this because you need to know if it's beeping because the refrigerator/freezer is actually warm or not. The freezer should be below 5 degrees and the refrigerator should be below 41 degrees or so. Can you do that and get back to me when you find out what temperature the refrigerator and freezer are reading?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can get the thermometers but not for a few hours. Is it all right if I get them and reply later tonight or early tomorrow morning?

If I put the thermometer in a glass of water (in the fridge) will it not take a long time for the water and consequently the temperature on the thermometer to adjust to the temperature within the refrigerator?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Yes of course. It won't do any good at this point to guess what's going on until we know if one of the sides is actually getting to warm, so just let me know when you find out what is going on with the actual temperature.

And, the cup of water makes the temperature more consistant. It will take a bit of time, but if you want an accurate temperature that is what I'd do. You can also put the cup of water in now, and then just put the thermostat in later.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK..........got the thermometers, and here are your answers:

The setting on the inside of the Fridge is 0/37

Freezer:

Centrigrade.... 1 0r 2 degrees ( Fahrenheit 27/28 degrees)

Fridge:

Centigrade ... 12 degrees (Fahrenheit 52 degrees)

Hope this tells you something.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
ok so the freezer and refrigerator are both too warm, that would explain why it's beeping at you. The first thing you need to do is remove everything out of the freezer and remove the back access panel inside the freezer. Tell me what the coils look like. Are they slightly frosted from top to bottom? Packed with frost? No frost at all? Just explain the frost pattern as best as you can.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK...... I got some help and have done what you asked.

The coils are frost free.......... no frost that I can see.

I am starting to put it back together so if you want me to do any thing else, please let me know asap.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If there is no frost at all, then you have an issue with the sealed system. There should be light frost from top to bottom and if not the compressor isn't doing it's job. Make sure the coils under the refrigerator aren't packed with dust and the fan next to the compressor on the back of the refrigerator is running. If all that checks good, you need to call a technician out to check the freon pressure or replace the compressor.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much.

I pulled out the fridge and I vacuumed the coils under it.......they were packed with lint.... and I really do keep a clean home....lols.....

Thanks very much ....... I vacuumed it several hours ago and guess what......... the alarm has not gone off again.

I think you did it.........! Thanks.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
awesome, well I hope everything continues to work. If you need anything else then just let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has started alarming again.........but nothing like before....... it does it a couple of times a day now...

I am getting help to take the fridge out so I can see the fan and also it will allow me to better clean the coils under the unit.

I believe that when I have thoroughly cleaned it, it may do the trick.

I am not a handy man but you managed to motivate me to stretch and for that I am grateful.

Will let you know how it all turns out.

Thanks, again.

mike

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Alright, well I wish you the best of luck. Once you pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back panel it will be fairly obvious if the fan is running or not.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't want to take up any more of your time. Just know I appreciate your help.

I pulled out the fridge, the fan is running, and I cleaned the coils THOROUGHLY.

Unfortunately, it is still alarming so I am now going to call a Service person. I assume you are in the States and unable to help.

From what you have said, it is either low on freon on it's the compressor.

Hey man, I tried!

I have had terrible service from all three stainless steel Kitchen Aid units (Stove, Dishwasher, and Fridge) I bought eight years ago. Thank God I took out an extended warranty when I first bought them.

If this keeps up, Miele is in my future. Cheers and thanks again.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Alright, well I hope everything works out for you.