Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a late 90s GE Monogram 42" built-in refrigerator. I

Customer Question

I have a late 90's GE Monogram 42" built-in refrigerator. I just noticed the top shelf food items on the refrigerator side were actually very warm, almost hot, while the food on all the shelves below are cold. Freezer seems fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the top shelf food is warm but the lower shelves are cold, that means that your interior lights are staying on. Make sure your door is securely shut, then open the freezer door and use a butter knife to peel back the door seal to make sure the light inside the refrigerator is off. If the light inside the refrigerator is still on, replace your door switch because it's not cutting the lights off. In the mean time, unscrew the light bulbs so you don't melt the refrigerator liner.

If the lights are off, then that's great. It sounds like the door was just left cracked open slightly causing the lights to stay on.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You're right. It was the inside lights staying on. We unscrewd both bulbs (very hot) and the refrigerator returned to normal cold operation after a couple hours. I put the bulbs back in the next day to check the door switch. Strangely, the switch was working. Could have been something in the switch (debris) prior but now it's working fine.

Thanks Again

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
hmm, either way, I'm glad it's working for you now.