Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

We have a GE Upright Freezer. It has an electronic temperature

We have a GE Upright Freezer. It has an electronic temperature control with a red light and beeper. We took out all the food and wiped down the inside then reset the alarm --it goes off for approx 15 min then starts again. it seems to be freezing but I have not put a thermometer inside.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Can you find the model number inside the freezer?

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wher is it? I will have to go get it.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Take your time, its usually inside on the wall up high somewhere. Or if you have your user manual it will be on that.

Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Model# XXXXX

Serial # XXXXX
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
The control on the door needs to be replaced. If you unplug the freezer and use a putty knife up along the side of it, then it will pop right out. Change the wires one at a time and push the new one in. It snaps right in. The factory part number is XXXXX

That will take care of the problem,
Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do I use the freezer? Do you think it is safe? I don't kwow why it failed and everything thawed did the temp control fail?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Yes the temperature control failed. That part is the main control board for the whole freezer (including the temperature). Everything that freezer does is controlled by that part. All electricity to all individual parts runs right through that part first.. I would not recommend using the freezer until that part is replaced.

Barry