Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a whirlpool top loading washer that is off its cycle.

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool top loading washer that is off its cycle. When selecting a wash cycle (short wash or regular wash) and pulling our the knob to start the filling of the tub with water, it automatically goes into agitation mode and water spray cycle. The MOD# XXXXX XXXXX and the other number found inside the lid is W10140920. What can I do to reset this misstep in the cycles?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This is a common failure for this model washer and unfortunately there is no way to "reset" the issue. The pressure sensor switch inside the control panel has failed and it's agitating to early instead of holding off until the tub is full of water. Below is a link to the pressure sensor switch you'll need to order and replace.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What was happening when I used another cycle the last time this occurred. It seemed to work on another cycle. How did the problem seem to fix itself after using another cycle for a period of time?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
That switch is actually just a small control board. Control boards are just fickle and you can't explain why they work sometimes and fail sporadically, but it happens. The problem is that the issue will definitely come back and eventually it will fail completely so the switch needs to be replaced to solve the problem.