Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My model 596 freezer stopped working. A little over a day later

My model 596 freezer stopped working. A little over a day later so did the fridge?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am anxious to help you fix your appliance! Have you heard any clicking or buzzing noises? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer? Also, can you please post the rest of the numbers in the model number?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No frost XXXXXXXXXXX
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Can you please out a space in between the numbers? I am sorry, the site views it as a phone number. Do you hear a fan running in the freezer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
596 669 534 01 no frost, fan at back is running blowing cool air
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the inconvenience with the numbers. If you are able to pull the refrigerator out, please do so and remove the cover from the back of the cabinet, at the bottom. This will expose the compressor, the large, black dome. Fell the compressor and see if it is hot or cold and if you can feel it running. Please let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's running and cool
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
The compressor is running in the back but is cool to the touch? Are you absolutely certain that the compressor is running or could you be feeling vibration from the condenser fan next to it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe it is the compressor and not a vibration from the fan
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
If that is the case, the compressor running and cool, the unit not cooling well, your have a sealed system issue. Either you have little or no refrigerant in the system due to a leak or the compressor is bad. If the compressor is a Tecumseh, signified by a blue Native American in headdress sticker on it, the compressor is likely faulty. In either case, this is not a DIY repair and will require specialized training and equipment. I can get you a link to the compressor kit, if you wish. Please let me know if you would like that or have any other questions.

Rating me will NOT close this question! Once you offer your feedback rating, you may still refer back to this thread, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved! Please let me know how I can earn your highest rating, thanks!
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!