Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The oven ignitor wont glow. I have 200ohms when I hook up

The oven ignitor won't glow. I have 200ohms when I hook up my meter. what should the ohms reading be? If the ignitor is O.K., what else could be preventing it from glowing?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

200 ohms is about right, but that's not really how you test the igniter. You need to test between the 2 wires going to the igniter. You should have 120 volts when the oven is turned on. Are you getting 120 volts if you conduct this test?

A few more questions, have you tried broil and does broil still work?

And do you have a model number by chance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
M/N MGR5751BDQ, S/N 14253526L When I tested between the two wires in the molex plug I read 10v. I did not try the broiler
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK so I need you to conduct 2 test.

1. Turn the broiler on for 3 minutes and does the broiler turn on?

2. Test each wire going to the igniter to ground when the oven is turned on and should be heating. I know you're not getting 120 volts across the 2 wires, but do you get 120 volts from one wire to ground?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll try turning on the broiler and test power to ground but I won't be able to do this until this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Do you think I should pick up an ignitor today while the store is open just in case.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
ok no problem.

And no, I wouldn't pick up an igniter because we've actually already ruled out that your igniter is not the problem. If the igniter was the problem, you'd still get 120 volts between the 2 wires which you said you're not getting---so you have a different problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I do not have 120v from one lead to ground or at the two wires feeding the ignitor what else could be interrupting the voltage? Can I get a wiring diagram for this oven?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
The wiring diagram is somewhere on a tech sheet usually on the back of the oven, somewhere down under the drawer, or inside the control panel. Either way, I have the schematic that I can see so that is really all that matters at this point.

There are no cut outs between the display control board and the bake igniter that would stop the igniter from getting power. Since your display board still gets a display, you know the oven is getting 120 volts. Unfortuantely that means that your display control board is shorted and not sending power to the bake igniter so the entire display board would need to be replaced to fix the issue.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.