Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

My refrigerator stopped working.The light is on when I open

My refrigerator stopped working.The light is on when I open the door.There is a clicking
sound every so often, and there is a smell in the area like the smell that comes from an
ionizer. I am wondering if you know what it might be. I will fix it myself if it"s a minor problem.
Thank you for your help,
Hello Carl my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Is the clicking sound coming from the rear of the refrigerator?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
model ARB190ZCW It's sounds like it's coming from the back.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX whats going on...that noise is the overload clicking on the side of the compressor. You are going to need to get the refrigerator out. Unplug it, and remove the lower panel at the back. On the side of the compressor is a very common part to fail and it will buzz or click for a while before it finally fails. Its attached with wires to the side of the compressor. Make sure the compressor is not too hot to hold your hand on, this indicates a compressor failure and will be the reason for the clicking instead of the overload failing.

Be sure to make a wire diagram or take a picture of where the wires go before you take them off. Do not order this part online but locally because there are many versions of this part even when ordered by model number. Its much easier to return a part in person that is incorrect then it is online.

On the compressor pictured below the parts are mounted where the red arrow is pointing in the picture. The parts pull straight off, they fit tightly but they will pull off. Change the parts and wire it and plug it in. That will take care of it. If you have questions please ask.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Barry

I really appreciate your help. Your information was very useful.

You are very welcome. I appreciated the opportunity. You take care and have a great weekend.