Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a GE PFSS6PKXASS and the ice maker is ot working. I

Customer Question

I have a GE PFSS6PKXASS and the ice maker is ot working. I have checked water and filter. I can't seem to figure out if there is a swing arm that when full turns the unit off. I also can't seem to figure out if the ice maker unit pulls out directly after sliding the unit forward and down.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator.  To do this, just fill up the icemaker with a cup of water (use a turkey baster since it's so tight inside this french door model) and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice.  If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad.  If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out.  If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

So as for getting the icemaker out if you need to remove it, that is not an easy task. Pull the ice bucket out and look in the lower left corner. There is a plastic trim hiding all the main wire harness and holding the icemaker in place. There is a small slot at the top of this plastic trim that you need to stick a small flat head screwdriver into and pry up to release the locking clip behind it. The trim will then slide forward and off.

Now just look up near the front of the icemaker and there is a little white plastic locking tab. Pull out on the tab and the entire icemaker along with the back panel will full forward and out so that you can remove the entire assembly. From that point you can remove the screws going into the icemaker and replace the icemaker.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a part number for the valve?

I cannot see any ice on the fill tube, there was ice in the ice maker, and the swing arm located on the right side does not move freely. The ice appears to be not dropping.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If there was ice in the icemaker, there is no need for the valve because the valve is not the problem. Try to just thaw the ice out with a hair dryer and see if it will start to cycle in the next 24 hours and fill back up with water. If the icemaker is empty in 24 hours, then you need to replace the icemaker because it's not cycling.