Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

MAYTAG NEPTUNE DRYING CENTER GOES TO COOLDOWN BEFORE CLOTHES

Customer Question

MAYTAG NEPTUNE DRYING CENTER GOES TO COOLDOWN BEFORE CLOTHES ARE DRY.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am anxious to help you fix your appliance! Do the clothes take a long time to dry or does the machine just shut off before the clothes are dry? Does this happen in the "Timed Dry" cycles or just the "Auto Dry" cycles? May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI KELLY: THE CLOTHES PARTLY DRY THEN IT SWITCHES TO COOLDOWN AND THE CLOTHES DO NOT DRY. MODEL # XXXXX MCG8000AWW SERIAL # XXXXX 14719096G P. THANKS.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Inside the drum assembly is a sensor bar that senses the moisture in the clothes. Over time, those bars become insulated with detergent and softener residue and can no longer measure the moisture in the clothes accurately. You will need to clean the sensor bars (pictured below) with sandpaper, a Scotch Brite pad or steel wool to restore their ability to accurately measure the moisture in the clothing. This should get you back up and running!

Rating me will NOT close this question! Once you offer your feedback rating, you may still refer back to this thread, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved! Please let me know how I can earn your highest rating, thanks!
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
KELLY: I TRYED RE-DRYING THE SAME DAMP LOAD OF CLOTHES FROM BEFORE AFTER I CLEANED THE SENSOR. USINGSENSOR DRY THE DRYER BEGAN WARMING UP AND THE CYCLE STATUS SHOWED WET. AFTER ABOUT 5 MINUTES THE COOL DOWN LIGHT CAME ON AND THE HEAT WENT OFF.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
How did you clean the sensor strips?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
KELLY: I TRYED RE-DRYING THE SAME DAMP LOAD OF CLOTHES FROM BEFORE AFTER I CLEANED THE SENSOR. USINGSENSOR DRY THE DRYER BEGAN WARMING UP AND THE CYCLE STATUS SHOWED WET. AFTER ABOUT 5 MINUTES THE COOL DOWN LIGHT CAME ON AND THE HEAT WENT OFF. I CLEANED THE SENSOR STRIPS USING FINE STEEL WOOL. IT DID NOT SEEM TO BE DIRTY OR COATED WITH ANYTHING
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
KELLY: I TRYED RE-DRYING THE SAME DAMP LOAD OF CLOTHES FROM BEFORE AFTER I CLEANED THE SENSOR. USINGSENSOR DRY THE DRYER BEGAN WARMING UP AND THE CYCLE STATUS SHOWED WET. AFTER ABOUT 5 MINUTES THE COOL DOWN LIGHT CAME ON AND THE HEAT WENT OFF. I CLEANED THE SENSOR STRIPS USING FINE STEEL WOOL. IT DID NOT SEEM TO BE DIRTY OR COATED WITH ANYTHING. THE WET AND COOL DOWN LIGHTS ARE ON AT THE SAME TIME.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Okay, so you likely have a control issue. Unplug the dryer for about 5 minutes to reset the control. Let me know what happens after power cycling.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
KELLY: STILL HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH OUR DRYER. I HAVE CLEANED THE SENSOR STRIP AND UNPLUGED FOR 5 MINUTES. YESTERDAY I DID FINALLY GET THE CLOTHES TO DRY USING TIMED DRY. I'M TRYING AGAIN TODAY . IT'S NOT GETTING HOT AT ALL IN SENSOR DRY. USING TIMED DRY IT GETS HOT AT FIRST. THE CYCLE STATUS SHOWES WET THEN DAMP ,THEN DAMP AND COOL DOWN AT THE SAME TIME. AT THIS POINT IT STOPS GETTING HOT. WHAT NOW ?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
With the Timed Dry working as it is supposed to and the sensors clean and registering moisture on the display, I suspect you have a control issue. I would recommend replacing the Logic Board, number 1 in the picture. It is accessed by opening the upper dryer doors and removing the 4 screws that secure the control panel in place. Once the screws are removed, you will have full access to the Logic Board, available at the link below. If you buy it from the link I have provided, they allow ALL returns, even if installed, so there is no risk in purchasing that board.

The link below is to the part you will need from a company with the best return policy in the industry. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!

Logic Board <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE BOARD

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
KELLY: I'V LOCATED THE CIRCUT BOARD AND ORDERD A REPLACEMENT AS YOU SUGGESTED. I'LL LET YOU KNOW IF THAT TAKES CARE OF THE PROBLEM. I DID NOT MENTION TO YOU THAT WE HAD A POWER OUTAGE HERE ABOUT A WEEK AGO,WHICH IS ABOUT WHEN THIS PROBLEM BEGAN. WE HAVE SURGE PROTECTORS ON OUR COMPUTOR. MAYBE A WHOLE HOUSE SURGE PROTECTOR WOULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS. WHAT DO YOU THINK.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
THat is a very good possibility. Please let me know if you need additional assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
KELLY: I RECEIVED THE NEW LOGIC BOARD TODAY. I MARKED THE CONNECTORS AS I REMOVED THE OLD BOARD.PUTTING THE NEW BOARD IN WAS NO PROBLEM. I WASHED A LOAD OF CLOTHES THEN PUT THEM IN THE DRYER ON SENSOR DRY. I LET IT RUN 20 MINUTES THEN CHECKED. THE CYCLE STATUS SHOWED WET. THE CLOTHES WERE STILL COLD . I SWITCHED TO TIMED DRY, LET IT RUN 20 MINUTES, BUT THE CLOTHES ARE STILL COLD. WITH THE OLD BOARD THE CYCLE STATUS WAS GOING TO DAMP THEN COOL DOWN BUT IT WAS HEATING UNTIL IT WENT TO COOL DOWN. WITH THE NEW BOARD THE STATUS CYCLE SEEMS TO BE CORRECT BUT NOW THERE IS NO HEAT AT ALL. HELP.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
When you initially start the dryer, are you hearing a series of clicks or just the motor starting? When set to a Timed Dry setting, do you get heat at the very start of the cycle and then not again or no heat at all now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
KELLY THERE IS NO CLICKING WHEN STARTING THE MOTOR . THERE IS NO HEAT AT ANY TIME IN SENSOR DRY . THERE IS HEAT IN TIMED DRY UNTIL AFTER THE DAMP LIGHT HAS BEEN ON FOR A WHILE. IF I UNPLUG IT FOR 10 MINUTES THE HEAT WILL COME BACK ON.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Okay, so that shows the heating system is working and that would leave the control system. You have replaced the Logic Board with some improvement, I would now recommend you replace the relay board, number 22 in the picture. The part is available at the link below!

Main Relay Board $100.15

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

KELLY I'M READY TO ORDER AND REPLACE THE MAIN RELAY BOARD AS YOU RECOMENDED. CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO ACCESS THE PART LOCATION ONCE I RECEIVE THE NEW PART?

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Sure! Allow me a few minutes and I will get you the complete service manual!
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Page 24 will show you how to replace the board, prior pages will show you how to access.

Service Manual <------ CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD SERVICE MANUAL