Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a GE PFS22MISBB refrigerator that is not cooling properly.

I have a GE PFS22MISBB refrigerator that is not cooling properly. 4 weeks ago I had a technician come out and he diagnosed it to be the main board, under voltage output to the condensor cooling fan, and gave me the part number. I purchased and replaced the main board myself and everything started working properly. 2 days ago it starting heating up again only this time the fan is still working properly. I took out the main board and was given a free exchange from the parts house. After connecting the new main board again things are working properly. I'm worried though that something else could be causing the problem with the main board or the overheating. Are there other suspect components that you would recommend replacing? The parts house gave me the number for the compressor overload relay thinking it may be tripping improperly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the fans are still running but the compressor isn't turning on for some reason, then you're correct that the board is shorting out. But finding the reasons for this can be difficult. Since the fans still run, the fans aren't shorting out the board which leaves the compressor. Now there is an overload relay which starts the compressor and that would be both mine and the part house's best guess. If that still shorted the board out for some reason, then it would be the compressor itself that is shorting out the board for some reason.