Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Maytag model MZD2766GE side by side fridge not cooling and

Customer Question

Maytag model MZD2766GE side by side fridge not cooling and freezer not freezing. Cooling fan continously running.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am anxious to help you fix your appliance! Have you heard any clicking or buzzing coming from the back of the refrigerator? May I please have the serial number?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no clicking sounds, serial number 19333198AR
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! If you open the freezer, is there frost on the back wall, inside the freezer? If not, pull the refrigerator out and remove the cover from the lower back of the cabinet. Feel the large black dome and see if it is hot or cold. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no frost, compressor is hot
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Great, thank you! Can you feel the compressor running or is it just hot? Any vibration from the compressor at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
after a closer look, there is a small amount of frost in the back of freezer. the compressor does feel like its running.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Okay, you are doing great, thanks! Remove the back wall from inside the freezer and see if the frost behind the wall is covering the entire evaporator coil or just a small portion in the upper corner.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its covered!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
That is actually good news! You will need to defrost the coil to restore cooling. There is a heater and a thermostat in the freezer that you can test, if you have a meter. Do you have a meter to test with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

as luck would have it, I lent mine out so do not have a way to test at this time.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Okay, there are three components in the defrost circuit; the control, thermostat and heater. The heater and thermostat can be tested for continuity, the control cannot be accurately tested with 100% certainty. If you thaw the coil totally out, you will have about 7-10 days before it will frost over again. This will allow you time to get your meter back. You may post back if you have further questions or need help accessing or testing the components.

Rating me will NOT close this question! Once you offer your feedback rating, you may still refer back to this thread, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved! Please let me know how I can earn your highest rating, thanks!
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help. If I need to reply back later how do I access this thread?

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
You can save the URL to your favorites or just come back to this question through one of the emails sent to you. Thank you very much and please let me know if I can be of more help. Have a great weekend, my friend!