Appliance Tech Care
Appliance Tech Care, Appliance Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

My top load washing machine is malfunctioning. The auto fill

Customer Question

My top load washing machine is malfunctioning. The auto fill sensor or whatever is not working. Water starts filling and it never stops. The machine eventually starts a constant beep to let me know something is wrong but it is not the same beep code as the one used when the load is out of balance. When I open the machine the water is almost about to overflow. Even if I forward to another cycle or turn the power off the water keeps filling. The only way to make it sop is by turning the water supply off. It doesn't come back on when I turn the supply back on. The I forward the machine to the next cycle and it will work until it starts to add water again and then I have to repeat the process. What part should I replace?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am anxious to help you fix your appliance! May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure as I am not at home right now. I will check it later and post.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good, thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model GWL11
Fisher & paykel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its almost like whatever sensor that can sense the water level is not working or the computer is not telling the valve to close.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
The control and the water level switch are one unit, number 6 in the picture. Remove the screws at the back of the control console and the console will lift up and hinge forward, allowing full access. Remove the clear vinyl tube that is attached to the control and blow through it. If it blows through easily, the control is likely faulty and will need to be replaced. It is available and pictured below!

Control $133.16 <---- CLICK HERE FOR THE PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Rating me will NOT close this question! Once you offer your feedback rating, you may still refer back to this thread, AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, until your problem is resolved! Please let me know how I can earn your highest rating, thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Describe easily. I can blow through it but ... Not as hard as blowing up a balloon but close. I wouldn't derive it as easy.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Okay, it is clear which means the control will likely need to be replaced. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have replaced this
Iece in the past and I still have my old one. Is there a chance I could remove the soldered piece that the clear hose fits on and replace that with one on the old one or should I just order the entire piece?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
It is all one unit with the pressure switch integrated into the control. You will need to replace the entire unit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any idea where to get it and the exact part number?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Available below, part number 420094USP.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ordered the part. It should be here by next Friday. I'll be in touch. Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good, keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I received the part and installed it according to the instructions including installing an inline fuse on the brown wire of the pump. Now when the machine turns on, the the last wash light on the right as well as the spin light are lit up and constantly beeping. I am $180 into this problem now I hope it doesn't need too much more.
Expert:  Appliance Tech Care replied 2 years ago.
I will be glad to help you with your question today.
Did you set up the new control for the machine size? This needs to be done when you change out the control board.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what you mean. How do I setup the machine size? I thought this part came ready for this machine. Tell me what to do and I'll do it.
To set the size switch turn the power on at the power point and off at the console. Press and hold the TEMPERATURE UP button then press the POWER button. SmartDrive will
give 4 short beeps and the pattern of LEDs will change. Press SPIN SPEED UP button, and the SPIN HOLD LED should come on Press POWER to exit this mode.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay I read the instructions to setup the machine size and it now has no error code and the machine turns on like the old module. However it does the exact same thing. I still have to physically turn off the water at the faucet behind the washing machine or it will flodd my house. The control is not the problem. By the way, no offense but that's not good. I just spent $180, please tell me there is something inexpensive to correct this problem.
I don't think I would have told you to order the module right off with out some additional testing.
Tell me, if you turn on the water and then start the machine and then a few seconds later turn the washer off. Will the water continue to run into the machine?
AND if that happens and you UNPLUG the machine, will water continue to run in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I turn the power off or unplug the machine water still pours into the machine. The only way I can stop it is the faucet period.
This is simple, you need to replace the water valve. The valve is normally closed if there is no power applied to it. If it doens't close when you remove the power, it is bad . PERIOD, replace it
Thats why I came in on this question, I didnt think that the module was the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What are you calling the water valve? I have two of those don't I? Cold and hot. I'm assuming it is the cold since that is the one I turn off to make it stop pouring water. You are referring to the part that the hose connects to, yes.

The valve is where the fill hose is connected, if the cold is one you have to turn off then that is the one to replace.

http://www.genuineapplianceparts.com/item/420238P_Fisher_Paykel_Cold_Water_Valve_GWL11_IWL12/285

420238P Fisher Paykel Cold Water Valve GWL11 IWL12

I would check SEARS tommorrow, they sometimes have cheaper parts, but check the total cost with shipping included when shopping.
Heres a used set on ebay, they don't go bad very often,so I would be comfortable getting these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FISHER-PAYKEL-WASHER-420238P-420237P-WATER-VALVE-USED-PART-ASSEMBLY-/251058880087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a74467e57#ht_500wt_970
Experience: 35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are not gonna believe this but a long time ago I had replaced the control unit. The sales person talked me into changing both of these valves too. Well I don't throw thing like that away. I found my old valves
and changed the cold water valve. You are correct. That is the problem or the solution. Thank you very much. My washing machine is working again. AWESOME!
great!