Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Have an LG WM2010CW Frontloader Washing Machine. Getting an

Have an LG WM2010CW Frontloader Washing Machine. Getting an IE error code. Haven't tried cleaning out the inlets yet. I ran a diagnostic test and got the code In81... Anyone know what this means?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

LG uses a flow meter that detects the flow of water entering the washer. If this flow meter does not detect the correct amount of water entering the washer it will sound the "IE" error code. Often this repair can be made with out calling an appliance repairman and without ordering parts. Start by removing the washer fill hoses; both the cold and the hot water hoses. Check for proper water pressure from the house. To do so, turn the water on and put the hose inside the washer or a bucket.

If water pressure is good, check the water valve inlet screens. Most residential washing machines have inlet screens. The screens prevent minerals from clogging the solenoid. With the hoses removed, you can visually inspect the water inlet screens. If the water valve screens are clear the inlet valve with the screens itself will need to be replaced. To replace the water valve, remove the top of the washing machine. Three screws hold the top down. The screws that hold the top down are on the back of the top panel. Once removed the top will slide back and off. Now remove the wire harness that connects to the valve. One screw holds the valve to the washers cabinet. Removing the screw and sliding the valve over will release the valve from the back panel enabling you to complete your repair.

One last thing to check is the fill hoses. These front load washers call for a lot of water quickly. So if you have stainless steel braided flood-safe hoses, they will trip for no reason at all. Replace these flood safe hoses with more traditional hoses.  If the hoses are good and you haven't found anything slowing down the flow of the water, your electronic inlet water valve is just faulty on the back of your washer and will need to be replaced because it's just not allowing water flow into the washer correctly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will try the above but what about the diagnostics code In81? Do you know what this means? I know the code IU:00 means a software issue.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
actually neither one is an error code. IU:00 means that the user interface software has no issues. In81 is not an error, it's a software version. There is nothing wrong other than the IE error you're getting.