Appliance Tech Care
Appliance Tech Care, Appliance Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

Whirlpool gas dryer (Model lg7001xmn0), igniter good, fuses

Whirlpool gas dryer (Model lg7001xmn0), igniter good, fuses good, heat sensor and control coils replaced and still no flame. Any other likely suspects?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Care replied 2 years ago.

Appliance Tech Care :

I will be glad to help you with your question today.

JACUSTOMER-8dt3ex8k- :

Outside of replacing the valve itself I am at a lose as to another alternative

Appliance Tech Care :

Are you by the dryer?

Appliance Tech Care :

It sounds like you replaced everything that is could be

JACUSTOMER-8dt3ex8k- :

Only a few steps away.

JACUSTOMER-8dt3ex8k- :

I'm in front of it now.

Appliance Tech Care :

go to the dryer and turn it on. turn the dial slowly from about 1 min on upward to 20min
around 5-7 min you should hear a distinct click that would indicate the gas valve is trying to energize
tell me if you hear anything

JACUSTOMER-8dt3ex8k- :

After the click I can tell that the solenoids are magnetizing using a screw driver.

Appliance Tech Care :

Ok if the coil are energizing that eliminates all control issues and it has something to do with the valve and ignition system

Appliance Tech Care :

Does the glow coil come on?

JACUSTOMER-8dt3ex8k- :

Yes.

Appliance Tech Care :

do it jsut come up and then go out?

JACUSTOMER-8dt3ex8k- :

It stays on for about seven seconds.

Appliance Tech Care :

ok, the igniter get real bright then fades out?

JACUSTOMER-8dt3ex8k- :

Yes.

Appliance Tech Care :

You need to replace the two coils on the gas valve, one is bad
this is my most common dryer repair. If you replaced them do it again they are bad

JACUSTOMER-8dt3ex8k- :

I guess I'll give it a go. If they test good continuity would that be prudent.

Appliance Tech Care :

forget the test, they are bad guarenteed

Appliance Tech Care :

do you have a place the get them?

JACUSTOMER-8dt3ex8k- :

Yes.

JACUSTOMER-8dt3ex8k- :

I guess this as far as we're going to get tonight. Good Night.

Appliance Tech Care :

simple repair I do them all the time

JACUSTOMER-8dt3ex8k- :

One more question. I noticed on a schematic on line that the single coil solenoid was not over the outlet. Shouldn't it be so.

Appliance Tech Care :

come back here after you replace them

JACUSTOMER-8dt3ex8k- :

Ok. Good Night.

Appliance Tech Care :

I would have to see what you are talking about. But you really need not worry about anything else other than the coils.

Appliance Tech Care :

Did you replace the coils?

Customer:

I'am waiting for the part to come. The one I replaced use to replace the original part was the supplier's last one in stock .

Customer:

I hope to receive the coils Monday or Tuesday. Also I have been going over the schematics to better understand how the system functions and now have a better idea of how to isolate the problem. The only thing lacking is specs on the coils. I now have a good idea how to isolate individual components. From this point I believe I can troubleshoot without "black boxing." Once coils received I will install and let you know progress. I tried returning to this screen the night before last and was unsuccessful. Regardless of whether the coils are the final solution I will "accept". I'm sure you yourself might be interested in the final solution.

How did it work out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Received another set of new coils today. I've installed same and do not have differing results.
Unless I misunderstood your explanation of the problem, the only other problem you can have is the gas valve is mechanical stuck, OR you have no gas to the dryer.
What I understood was:
1the igniter comes on and glows
2.the igniter get real bright and fades out with no flame
These are classic symptoms of bad coils. Any other problem other than no gas to the dryer are very unusual.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Before I think about finding a new valve the final thing I would like to know is if the igniter cold resistance of 84 ohms is within optimal parameters. Wired into the circuit, such that it is, it could affect the current through the valve coils. It is wired in parallel with two of the coils. The only reference to the igniter's resistance I could find is that it should test between 50 and 450 ohms. This could be allowing for different types and temps. The igniter in this machince is the helix configuration. (Or coil spring shape.)
The voltage goes thru the first two coils and sets up a partial magnetic field on the secondary coil. When the igniter gets hot enough, the infraRed sensor on the housing is tripped allowing the the rest of the current to flow thru the secondary coil.
I have seen valves go bad, but very very rarely. I don't think I have replaced 2 valves in the past 20 years that they have been using this configuration. I would get another set of coils before I replaced the valve.
I say this "IF" the scenario I described in the previous post is what you are seeing on your dryer.
Experience: 35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have replaced the coils twice on this machine assuming that the first set was defective. The price of attempting this again is prohibitive when I could have replaced eveything involved for the money spent so far with the valve kit.
I have tested the original coils and found no fault. There is no point trying to guess what is wrong. I will look for the most reasonable valve kit and be done with it.
OK, let me know how it goes
Good luck