Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I need to replace the heating element on my Kenmore Electric

Customer Question

I need to replace the heating element on my Kenmore Electric Dryer. The original (burnt out) element has 4 terminals but the replacement element has 3 terminals. What do I need to do to install the new element? The part number for the original element is 20064999 and the part number for the new element is 337365. My Dryer's model number is XXXXX Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.

Jon Grella : Hello
Jon Grella : My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you today
Jon Grella : Let me look up your model number and machine now. Give me one minute
Customer:

ok

Jon Grella : Ok
Jon Grella : Here is a link to a picture of the heater you have
Jon Grella : http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/337365/0026/110&pathTaken=partSearch&blt=14&prst=0&shdPart=337365
Jon Grella : Is that the one you got?
Customer:

That's the one I was referred to. I haven't bought it yet because of the difference in terminals. This one has 3 and the burnt out one has 4

Customer:

I want to make sure I am able to use it first before I purchase it

Jon Grella : Yes. It is the factory replacement for your model
Jon Grella : It will come with instructions for rewire
Jon Grella : It will show you exactly what to do with the extra wire
Customer:

What sort of rewiring will I need to do?

Jon Grella : But of you need more help after receiving the part get back to me here and i will help you install it
Jon Grella : It is very easy
Customer:

Can you simply explain it now?

Jon Grella : You just need to applied the supplied jumper to one of the existing wires in your machine. Then it makes the four wire a three wire. Ocnversion.
Jon Grella : Sorry
Jon Grella : I meant conversion.
Jon Grella : Basically taking the four wires you have in your machine now. And jumping two together giving you the three wires conversion you need.
Jon Grella : It will explain in detail when you get the part.
Customer:

I notice that the old one has 2 wires the same labeled as H3 and they are Red. Would they be the ones to jump together?

Jon Grella : But again, if to need more help just log back in here and I will help you more.
Customer:

Will I be charged more $ then?

Jon Grella : It is the wires that go directly to the old heater.
Jon Grella : And no, you will not be charge d again after rating my performance tonight you can come back her and ask any follow up questions you would like for no exa charge
Customer:

That's great! Thanks Jon much appreciated

Jon Grella : Just be sure to rate my performance wi more then three stars below. This will allow you to continue cheating with me for no addtional charge.
Jon Grella : You got it.
Jon Grella : Anytime
Jon Grella : And after you rate me, you can print save copy the info above as well. Just in case you need it
Customer:

sorry Jon but where is the rating on this page?

Jon Grella : It should be below the chat area
Jon Grella : It may look like a green accept button
Customer:

found it thanks

Jon Grella : Your welcome
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for rating my performance today. I am glad I could help you out.

If you need another help or have any other questions, please get back to me here and I will see that you are here and respond back to you. And again, at no additional charge.

Thanks.

Let me know how it goes for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jon: I have the part and would like to install it. The new heating element came with instructions and I believe I know how to follow these but just to make sure I wouldn't mind have you confirm what I am doing. The instructions ask for me to remove the original terminals on the harness. I'm assuming these are the metal/rectangular pieces at the end of the wires, correct. Do I just pull them off? Then if you can show me exactly how to use the clamp and screw that would be great. I also wanted to replace the thermostat while I'm at it however the new thermostat has 3 terminals and the old one has only 2. I'm confused. The part number for the new thermostat is LS3-150. Is this the wrong one? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Jon but perhaps I don't need to change the thermostat after all. Perhaps you can give me an answer to this question. The reason I am replacing the heating element is because the heat coming out of the dryer was extremely hot and a smoke smell was detected. That's when I found out that the coil on the heating element was broken in a couple of pieces. But I was wondering.....should the thermostat in this case also have to be replaced? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I need to resolve the issue right at this moment. Thank you
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and I will use all my training and knowledge of 40 years to help you with your Problem today ,, thanks

Jon has opted out but since the coil in the heater was broken in pieces then then coil was touching the heater housing to cause the smoke and odor, you need not replace the thermostat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Larry. Now the instructions to replace the heating element ask for me to remove the original terminals on the harness. I'm assuming these are the metal/rectangular pieces at the end of the wires, correct. Do I just pull them off? Then if you can show me exactly how to use the clamp and screw that would be great.
you will just pull them off and if they will not fit onto the new unit you will cut the ends off the wires and strip back the wires and put the new ends onto the old wire and use the wire nuts to hold the wires together
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I guess the wires will sit flat on the flat part of the heating element terminal while the wire nut is tightened against it, correct?

correct
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks
your very welcome
Glad i could help you with your problem so please press the accept or big smiley face for me before you leave for my time and knowledge, before you come back for a refund for any reason let me know and maybe i can help further without it counting against me ,, thanks
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,

Sorry for my delayed response. I was unable to connect to the Internet for most of the day.

And this is for Larry,

You know that I have not opted out of this chat. Otherwise, it would say that I have opted out inred letters.

I guess you are considering this payback.

Any way, I adhere and will be here for you if you need me again.

But what you need to do if you haven't done so already is remove the terminal from the old heater and apply that to the new one. Sometimes you need to cut it out of the old one and sometimes you just need to flatten it out a bit.

The thermostat canbe checked with a simple continuity check to see if you need to replace it or not. S if you have a meter with an ohm or resistance check we can check the thermostat.

But inmost cases if the heater was working, it doesn't need to be replaced.

Get back to me here if you need any more help and i will help you more for no additional charge. And you don't have to accept Larry's answer since it was me that helped you out first.

Talk to you soon.
not a pay back Jon, they relisted so i was just helping ,, its all yours ,, cya later
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jon thanks for getting back to me. I don't have an ohm meter unless I can borrow one from a friend. I replaced the heating element and not the thermostat. I ran the dryer but it stopped at about 10 mins. into the drying cycle and seemed extremely hot. What next? Should I also be checking the thermal cut off thermostat along with the cyclying thermostat?
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Yes.

That is correct. What probably happened the first time when you originally had the problem was theater got soo hot it caused the cycling thermostat and high limit thermostat to blow. Then the next time you use the dryer the heating element got soo hot it broke too.

So now that you have the new element in it could do the same thing if we don't first check and replace not the cycling and high limit cut off thermostat.

If the machine is used with a bad or damaged high limit and cycling thermostat the machine has no way to regulate how hot the dryer and heater will get. Which is real dangerous. And could casue the new heater you used to get damaged like the old one. And that would be wasting your money on the heater. And I don't want to see you do that.

On and next to the heater housing where the heater is in the machine you will see both the high limit thermal cut off and cycling thermostats. They will each have some wires running to them. First unplug the machine or flip the circuit off to the machine. Then remove the wires from each thermostat. Making sure you note where they go. Then with your meter on continuity put the meter leads on each terminal of the thermostat and see if the thermostats are good. If your meter has a toned or audible continuity check that is best. Otherwise set it to ohms. If the switch is good it will either give you a tone or be at 0ohms.

If the switch is bad it will give you no audible tone and there will be some kind of reading for 0ohms. Like 12.4538

If you get that it means the thermostats are no good. And need to be replaced.

And it may be a good idea just to replace them anyway if the machine is over 5 years old because they are used and may have been damaged when the old heater burnt up. The switch both should be about $30-50. And can be ordered from the same place.

Get back to me here if toy need any other help with tis machine.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jon:

I did as you told me I tested both the cyclying thermostat and the thermal cut off and both gave me an audible continuity. What next? Should I be checking the motor? A friend of mine mentioned that there should also be a relay on it that perhaps I should check. What do you think? I really feel like giving up on this thing although I'm not about to. Thanks

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
First we need to make sure that you've checked the fuses and thermostats in the correct way. I just wanted to make sure that when you checked the thermostats that you put the wired leads from the meter on the thermostats itself and not the wires. Withthe wires removed from the thermostats.

Sometimes when I tell a customer to check the thermostats they will either forget to take the wires off and just check the thermostat with the wires in and it will be the incorrect way to check with continuity. It will always give you a good reading.

Also you need to check the thermostat withthe wires off. At the terminals of the thermostats.

If you have done that and the thermostats are good there is not much else that will control the heat of the heater.

To answer your other question, no there is no fuse that regulates the heat in the motor. There is a centrifugal switch in the motor but it can not be checked. It is for when the motor overheats it will act as a safety kill switch for the motor. If it feels the motor is getting to hot it will shut the motor down.

Are you sure the venting is completely cleaned out? I would advise removing the vent from the back of the dryer and the run the machine as normal. If the vent is blocked or clogged the hot air will come back into the machine causing the high heat. So remove the vent to let the machine run without it connected. If it still gets too hot with the vent disconnected then there are other problems. Andi would call in a service company to check it out for you.

Please get back to me if you need any other help

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jon:

Thanks for trying to assist me along the way. I did take the wires off both thermostats and I did run the dryer after disconnecting the vent. So at this point you are probably right I would need to have a qualified service person to look at it. Much appreciated.

Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome.

Please get back to me here if you need anything else.

Thanks again.