Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

GE Adora microwave, model DVM1850DM2BB. Microwave appears

GE Adora microwave, model DVM1850DM2BB. Microwave appears to be fully working, but food does not heat up. Unplugged unit, replaced capacitor and rectifier with GE replacement parts.

Plugged unit back in, set clock to correct time. Tested successfully by heating a cup of water. Tried to duplicate, and microwave no longer heats. It is back to the way it was before I replaced the capacitor and rectifier. What's the next step?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed.  The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning.  The part itself costs about $100-150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it.