Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

why does my kitchenaid refrigerator keep freezing up and l

Customer Question

why does my kitchenaid refrigerator keep freezing up and leaking
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams and I could give better directions.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

KTRC19KKWH03

SERIAL EP3017355

07-03

Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you,

Your defrost drain is clogged. Unplug the refrigerator.

In the freezer remove the screws in the panels with the red arrows drawn in th ediagram below.

Behind those parts is the evaporator coil that defrosts about every 10 hours. The drain for the defrost is in the floor directly under those coils, its just about the size of a dime. Dig out all the ice and clear that hole.

Once you get that done pour a little warm water down it to be sure its clear. If its not clear find something flexible and push down through it a couple of inches.

Go around behind your refrigerator and remove the lower panel then find the tube that comes out just over the drain pan. If there is a small amount of water in that pan you will be done. The water that drains into that pan evaporates.

That will take care of it, if you have further questions please ask.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have done that many times, actually twice in the last month. i empty everything from the frig, unplug it and let it thaw. my husband makes sure the defrost drain is unpluggled. it will work for a while then freeze again in two - three weeks. we need to know why and how to stop the plug from freezing
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Hi. My name isXXXXX had to opt out, first you need to find the reason the freezer is not defrosting, do you have a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i will have to check with my husband. what do we do with a volt meter. i am pretty sure he has one
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well I am a little confused, are you saying the defrost drain is the only thing freezing up or is the freezer not defrosting ? when you say it happens every two weeks do you mean the water returns or the freezer is freezing up and theres frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind the food?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the bottom back of the freezer is coverer in ice. once that happens the water runs down in to the frig and out on to the floor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it is just freezing in the very back and down thru the back to where it is totally plug. we just dont know why it keeps doing this. it started about 2 - 3 years ago and is getting progressivley worse. do i need a new frige

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well you don't need a new refrigerator . do you remove the back panel inside the freezer behind your food when you defrost this ? have you ever done that to see how bad the frost is behind the panel ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no that seems a little difficult...we have an ice maker. i guess all that would have to come out. we take everything out that is easily removed...the bottom of the freezer etc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am sure my husband could figure it out but we will have to wait until the next time it freezes up....ugh. its a lot of work and time to empty it all out etc.what will that tell us?

i will be unavailabe for about 2 hours but will check my messages when i return.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well its very important to see what it looks like behind the panel. there you will see a sheet of ice that you are probably not getting cleared and thats why the issue comes back. let me know if you can do this and I will help you get it done, its not a major issue to fix but does require some labor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i would like to wait until it freezes up again and then we will remove the back and see if there is ice there. we had the frig unplugged and open for a whole day so a lot of the ice may have thawed whereas other times we tried to do it in a hurry using a pan of hot water and a hair dryer
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay, that will most likely take care of the ice issue. If you have frost building up on the back panel however come back and we can find that issue then. hopefully it runs okay but I have the feeling this may not be defrosting correctly, thanks and best wishes. Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can i wait til this happens again and contact you then to see if we can actually fix the problem before i accept the answer? if there is ice building up behind the wall at the back of the freezer is this normal? it seems like a lot of work to get the ice out of there???
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
yes you can wait. you have 30 days to come back, no frost and ice behind the wall is not normal its a sign of a defrost issue. it is fixable however. let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks. i guess i hope it happens before 30 days are up, if not i would have to pay twice? or should i just not accept the answer now
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
no you wouldn't have to pay twice I would still help you. Smile sometimes people forget to press accept and this is how I make my living but most take care of it so no big deal. anything you reply will be sent to me and I will help. this weekend I'm kinda on and off anyway Holiday and all. I have had people come back after 6 months and I still help them . thanks and talk again soon. Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.