Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Have a GE 7 electric wall range about 1990 - latch for self

Have a GE 7 electric wall range about 1990 - latch for self clean will not release. have tried breaker off +5 min, plus a short reclean cycle.... will still not release.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

I know this is probably a bad question since the door is lock but would you have a model # ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The exterior says it is a P7
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the home it is in was built in 1987, I assume it is about that year's model of the GE P7
okay well unfortunately the P7 is only a small portion of the model # XXXXX I think I found the correct part but cant be 100 % sure unless you have the full model # XXXXX the latch assembly has failed and would need to be replaced. however the door has to be open to do this. you will need to make a hook from a coat hanger and slide it between the door and pull the latch over, once you have it open remove the screws and then the control panel to replace the latch assembly. it is available @ ken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=G1105228&diagramPageId=00004&productTypeId=0125300&searchModelNumber=JKP70BM1BB&subCompDesc=Door%20lock&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=ELECTRIC-WALL-OVEN&blt=11&shdMod=JKP70BM1BB but its best to check the model once the door is open to make sure the latch is correct. hope this helps, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, Bryan.... Ron is an electrician and has tried flishing with one of his wire hooks he uses to run wire, but could not get the latch to pull over. The mechanism seems to be jammed tight as a drum... Ruth
yeah a common problem with these, they are geared to the motor and once the motor stops it wont budge. I really hate these. I usually avoid these questions because its so tough to do. LOL . I wish I had an easy the oven loose? would you be able to pull it out from the wall ? I know probably not. boy I don't know what else to tell you on that. the door has to be open to get the control panel off. you may need to call a tech to get it open. sorry. no need to accept, I wasn't able to help you much accept tell you what the issue is. well wishes and thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate the time and effort... we are now above the oven in the control panel and can see the slot that has a pin stuck at mid-point. I think we may be able to force it with a long screwdriver. I appreciate the time and your efforts... no probelm to accept your advice and much appreciate your willingness to be out there fo us folks ( : Ruth
your so very welcome. please let me know if theres anything else I can do. thanks, Bryan