Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a maytag dishwasher mofel #mdb5130ww serial# XXXXX it

I have a maytag dishwasher mofel #mdb5130ww serial# XXXXX
it is not running thru cycle correctly. It does drain, when I start it everything is fine. After filling & washing for a few minutes (about 10) it stops and does not drain, or wash, or go to next cycle. I have not sat in front of it yet, but if I go and leave it alone, the next thing I notice is that it says clean (flashing red) and the rinse only is (flashing red). When I open it up, it has drained, but dishes are not dry and not clean. Help? It is an under the counter model.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

check the heater for burn marks

tell me if you see anything unusual like light spots or burn marks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has a couple of small , very small rust spots. It looks like it has soap spots on it.

I can rub those off.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay. will you do me a favor and start the machine and let it fill with water and when it start to wash can you open the door and tell me how much water is in the bottom in inches ? does it reach the heater ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is above the heating element in the back, but not completely covered in front. In the back of it the water is about 1 5/8 ". In front it is about 1 1/4". The floor underneath the dishwasher may not be completely level. Sue
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay Sue. it sounds like the heating element may be bad , do you have a volt meter ? if I sent you a video on how to check continuity do you think you could ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You can send the video on how to do it, my husband says he has a meter that checks

continuity.Thanks. Sue

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Sure , click this blue link . http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Heating-Element/99002360/895910?modelNumber=MDB5130AWB he will need to remove the front access cover under the door in the front, hopefully he can reach the terminals from the front ( please shut the power off to the machine before start this test)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. we will try this, but now we have to go to an open house for our granddaughter. We will try to get to this later in evening. Will let you know what happens. Sue
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
OK Sue. have fun. if I'm not on I will be tomorrow, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, we checked the continuity and it is zero all the way thru. Sue
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
OK so no continuity ?or it does have continuity?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does have continuity. Last night after checking that out, I sat down in front of dishwasher & started a light wash. It filled & started the cycle. It ran for about 6 minutes & then its topped. It usually does that & then it usually drains & starts over again. This time it just stopped & didn't do anything, so after waiting about 5 more minutes it showed clean (flashing red) and also rinse only was flashing red. I opened it up and it was full of water. I tried pushing the drain button to get rid of water & nothing happened. I waited a few minutes & pushed it again. Still nothing, so I walked away & in about 3 minutes it started draining. It did empty. Do you know if my machine has a reset button? At this time, I am thinking that it has something to do with the timer, or control panel on froont. Any suggestions? Sue
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
unfortunately theres no reset button, your control is bad.this is the main control board. this is available @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/99002823/0022/465?pathTaken=directMatch&filterPart=&pop=flush&prst=0&shdPart=99002823 this controls the entire timer cycle. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.