Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Kenmore front-load washer Model(NNN) NNN-NNNNis leaving long narrow black grease-like s

My Kenmore front-load washer Model(NNN) NNN-NNNNis leaving long narrow black grease-like stains on clothing. Where is this coming from and what can be done to correct the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

good morning. Are you sure 100 % its comming from the washer ? are you seeing this before you put them in the dryer or after?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The black marks show up when clothes are removed from the washer. 100% certain it is the washer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
its extremely unusual for a front load to leak any oil into the tub itself. but on this model there is a tub seal that is the most likely culprit. its # XXXXX on this diagram. this seal however would need to be replaced by a tech. this is a huge job and the whole machine has to come apart including splitting the two outer tub halves. the part itself is only $9.75 but the labor will probably run you around $200.00. sorry for the bad news, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You say the work must be done by a tech. I am handy with tools, and typically take on my own repairs. Is a tech required because of special tools required? Or special knowledge that would not be apparent to the home handyman? Or because of the amount of time required? The machine is less than 2 years old, (but of course it only had a 12 month warranty.) We are a family of 3, and the machine is not overly used. Shouldn't this be a part that would be designed to have more than a 24 month service life? Do you suppose Sears would provide a service discount?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Okay well what I meant was these types of repairs are very difficult and you would need to take the whole machine apart, no real special tools just a lot of work. If your real handy you could do it, I doubt Sears will do it though for free. I am including a link to all the diagrams if you wish to do this yourself. I cannot however talk you through the entire job, but what you need to do is remove the top off the machine and you will see the tub itself is two pieces so you need to split them and remove the inner basket to replace the seal in the back between the inner and outer tubs. heres the link to all the diagrams. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kenmore-Parts/Washer-Parts/Model-79640441900/0582/0153200?searchedModel=796.4044&blt= it wouldn't hurt to call Sears and see also. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One last question: How confident are you of your answer? Have you seen (or heard of)this seal failure before, of is this your best guess based on where a seal leak would have to be in order to allow oil to get into the interior of the drum?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well this being a front load theres no transmission that can leak grease/oil. and there are no other sources besides the bearing and seal. unless you had something greasy in one of your wash loads that came off and is in the tub I cant think of anything else to be honest. this is a static drive so the only thing in the tub assembly is the bearing and seal thats inside the outer tub assembly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Brian. I think I will give Sears a call.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Okay , good luck and well wishes, Bryan