Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

hello i have a amana refrigerator, the freezer isnt freezing

hello

i have a amana refrigerator, the freezer isnt freezing anymore, and the top part of the fridge is cool but not cold enough, ive cleaned the coils of any dust from underneath and the back where the fan is located, model number abb2224dew
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service. Please take your time and make the checks below.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

If the freezer fan is operating and you found no frost on the rear inside wall of the freezer go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i forgot to mention, that right now its working fine, but it'll shut down later in the day, just when i thought it was good i put food back in, and later in the day it hads stop working, its not continuous, right now freezer is cold, little bit of frost on the side walls, pus ice cubes are cold, compressor is warm and the fan is running , vent in freezer blowing strong

would there be a reason for it not to be consistantly cool

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
There are a few things, have you heard the compressor buzz or click or anything operating you could hear but its not cooling?

The frost that you see, is that normal for your freezer, you are used to seeing that amount of frost?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ya im used to that amount of frost, it isnt much, the compressor itself will vibrate once in a while for a few seconds and then u might hea a click occasionally
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I understand whats going on...that noise is the overload clicking on the side of the compressor. You are going to need to get the refrigerator out. Unplug it, and remove the lower panel at the back. On the side of the compressor is a very common part to fail and it will buzz or click for a while before it finally fails. Its attached with wires to the side of the compressor.

Be sure to make a wire diagram or take a picture of where the wires go before you take them off. Or change the wires out one at a time. 67005560 is the part number you can shop with. One place that has that online is just below.
Refrigerator Overload - 67005560

Refrigerator Overload - 67005560
$39.23

On the compressor pictured below the parts are mounted where the red arrow is pointing in the picture. The parts pull straight off, they fit tightly but they will pull off. Change the parts and wire it and plug it in. That will take care of it.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.