Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Maytag Bravos washer. It stopped spinning and gives

I have a Maytag Bravos washer. It stopped spinning and gives an F-51 code. I found that means it could be a pitted Motor Position Sensor. I removed the armature and stator and found, cleaner, and reinstalled the MPS. I reinstalled the stator, but I am now finding I can not get the armature to fit back over the stator. Only one side will fit down on it. It's as if the armature as shrunk.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service.

Ok this happens a lot if you have the armature piece bolted back up you have to rotate the stator as it constantly tries to pull up because of the magnets and not go in place. You have to get it in the spline grooves just right. I find that if I grab it on each side evenly holding it from slamming up and rotate it slowly while putting slight pressure up you will find the groove. This is a little pain, but you will get it. If it gets canted it will not go back in.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will try again and get back to you. I did try turing it slowly, but will try even more slow!

Yes you have to turn it slowly and sometimes turn it a little then push it up...if it does not go take it back down...try to keep it where it was and turn it a little then push it up again. I feel your pain as it takes a bit sometimes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How free spinning should the armature be? One side goes on very easy - the other side still does not appear to be one - it is not even on sides all the way around. I tried to tap the side down more, but then the armature is very hard to turn.

You got it canted, pull it all the way back off and then try to put it up again. Try to go evenly. Just keep pulling it off and turning it. Do not tap it. When you think you got it just wiggle it and it will seat...then put the center bolt in and it will pull all the way up. It kinda sits pretty far down but has to be even then the center bolt will pull it all the way up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How easy should it spin if it is on correctly?
You will know when it is on correctly as you will not get the bolt to even start if it is not. Until the bolt is all the way tight it will not turn really smooth at all. Once the bolt is up you should be able to turn it without any binding.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I need to work on this again tomorrow when I get home after work. Thanks - I feel like i've done all you've suggested but will try again.

Just keep trying you will get it. Remember to pull it back off and then turn it slightly to try and put it on. Also just to double check you have the large round washer in front and in back of the armature. Just double check and make sure the armature is in correct as the shroud above it can get turned wrong and the armature will not set correctly. That could be your issue. There are some molded spots in that shroud above the armature. make sure it is correct. I just thought about it and I did that a long time ago once.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will accept your answer to be fair,because I was able to get the armature back on. But I still have the F51 code. Any suggestions?
The f51 was very common you need a new motor control board. the new board has different software and is not as sensitiveto the rotor position sensor. 99 times out of 100 the f51 code is the board.