Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore fridge model 596.72213200 that had defrosting

I have a Kenmore fridge model 596.72213200 that had defrosting issues. I tested the thermostat and it tested bad so I replaced it. Now there is sometimes water on the floor and ice in the bottom of the freezer. Could this be caused by the defrost timer?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

this is a clogged defrost line. give me a minute to look up the diagrams
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay , what you need to do is remove the panel inside the freezer again and down below the evaporator coils in the center there i a drain line thats clogged. boil some water and pour it over the ice until it drains freely. this will take care of the issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could I do the same thing by unplugging it for a day to let it melt?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes actually that would work fine. If you don't have anything in it and can unplug it for 24 hours with the doors open that will work, the drain hole is in this pan under the evaporator coils (see #2 on this diagram.) tomorrow after this defrosts you will be all set. thanks and best wishes, Bryan