gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

My Ge Profile refrigerator has just stopped cooling. Everything

My Ge Profile refrigerator has just stopped cooling. Everything in the freezer is defrosted. Temp is 45 and the fridge is 56. I can hear that something is running, just not cooling. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 2 years ago.

gst85 :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.
Clicking accept will credit me if you are satisfied with my help.

gst85 :

open the freezer,tell me if you can see any frost build up at the back wall?

gst85 :

do you have the full model number?

Customer:

No frost on the back wall of the freezer.

Customer:

Where do I find the model number?

gst85 :

its usually located at the top right front coner inside the frigde section.

gst85 :

fridge

Customer:

PSS26SGPA SS

gst85 :

thanks.now can you pull the fridge forward so that you can access the compresssor?.

Customer:

I am assuming I need to pull the fridge from the wall/cabinet? It is custom built, I will try

gst85 :

yes please.take your time.

Customer:

that was worthy of a utube video. I pulled it from it's cabinet. Now what?

gst85 :

ok great,next remove the cover access which is located at the bottom,the compressor is located right behind it.

gst85 :

take a look at this diagram that will show you.

Customer:

I am assuming this is the cover and I need to unscrew it?

gst85 :

correct.

gst85 :

you will need to use a 1/4 inch screwdriver .

Customer:

I have tried what I can, there is one screw that is so tight I can't unscrew it. I am using a 1/4" screwdriver, but am scared to do much more. I don't want to strip it. What can I do next?

gst85 :

ok, are you able to adjust the panel so that you can access the compressor?

gst85 :

let me know what you were able to do.

Customer:

there are 4 screws I can not unscrew. They are too tight. What next, if anything?

gst85 :

the reason for removing the cover is to feel if the compressor is running warm or hot.

gst85 :

can you hear it running?

Customer:

Something is running, but it is not a loud noise. Not what I would think would be running a fridge. It is a very low running sound.

gst85 :

ok if you have enough light you can see the compressor.are you able to remove the screws so that you can access?

gst85 :

are you still with me?

Customer:

Yes, I can only get 2 screws off, I can't see anything even after prying back the one slight edge back. I am so frustrated.

gst85 :

i understand,what you most likely have is a bad compressor,which is common on these models.

Customer:

What do I need to do?

gst85 :

to fix this problem you would need to have the compressor.

gst85 :

about how old is this model?

Customer:

2003

gst85 :

the freezer and fridge are completely warm?

Customer:

yes

gst85 :

ok your compressor is just going to be the problem. to have it replaced your looking at $500 to $700,but it would be up to you to decide.

Customer:

what do you think? replace the compressor or get a new refrigerator?

gst85 :

replacing this model would not be cheap .i would suggest that you get a few quotes before you decide .

gst85 :

it has been good to you for this long,i think that it may be worth the fix.

Customer:

Wow, I did not expect that response. Thanks for your response. This has been well worth the money. I appreciate your time and advice. Thanks!

gst85 :

your welcome,

gst85 :

good luck to you.

gst85 :

please leave feedback.

gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs