Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag Perfoma washing machine that is about ten years

I have a Maytag Perfoma washing machine that is about ten years old. the model number is XXXXX When it is on the spin cycle the tub starts banging against the side of the machine. This causes the maching to walk all over the floor. The machine is sitting level. Is this an easy fix or something major? Thanks.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

you need to check the springs in this and make sure one hasn't broken or come off. can you remove the front panel ? take a putty knife and about 3 " in from each side there are clips. push them in. they are between the top and the front panel. once those are pushed in the whole top will lift and you can lay it back against the wall. there are two screws down the side one on each side you remove to remove the front panel. when you get that off let me know. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have recently taken the top and front off so I am with you on that. I am also familiar with the srpings on the bottom of the tub. I know that the two from the front view are good. Not sure about the back, should I check all of them?

yes and while you have the front off move the tub back and forth to see how easy it moves. if it moves real easy and the springs are all good your snubber ring is worn. this is what the springs pull the tub assembly down onto to keep it from moving to much. its at the bottom of the tub frame assembly. you can order one @ its part # XXXXX on this diagram.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok I think you are right. The snubber ring is shredded on one side. Seem like this would be causing my problem. Doesn't look like there is much else that could cause this problem. Anything else I need to be aware of while changing this out?
well basically you need to lift the tub assembly up to replace this. sometimes it necessary to remove the springs to make it easier, not much else to worry about though. a lot of the time you can lift the assembly with 2x4s and prop it up to slip the new ring in. this should take care of the issue, hope this helped, thanks and please leave positive feedback after you accept before you leave if possible, have a great day Smile , Bryan