The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Troubleshooting a Whirlpool Duet Dryer that wont start

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Duet Dryer and it won't start. All the lights come on but when I press 'start', all I get is a click. The door switch seems to work fine, in that it will turn out the light. From what I've seen on the net, it could be a breaker on the motor or a thermal fuse. Any ideas?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.

You may be right. If a thermal fuse has gone out the unit will light up but not run.

Please provide the units model number and I will get you repair instructions specific to your model.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where is the model number?
Look behind the door to the left.
Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's "WED9400SU0"

Ok lets see if there are any stored error codes. Please do the following.

1. Be sure the dryer is in standby mode (plugged
in with all indicators off, or with only the Done
indicator on).
2. Select any one button (except Pause/Cancel
and Controls Lock/Unlock) and follow the steps
below, using the same button (remember the
button):
Press/ hold 2 seconds
Release for 2 seconds
Press/ hold 2 seconds
Release for 2 seconds
Press/ hold 2 seconds
3. If this test mode has been entered successfully,
all indicators on the console are illuminated for
5 seconds with 8:88 showing in the Estimated
Time Remaining three-digit display. If there are
no saved fault codes or active fault codes, all
indicators on the console will momentarily turn
off, then stay on with 8:88 displayed. Continue
with diagnostics.
4. If entry into Diagnostic Test Mode is
unsuccessful, choose a different button (except
Pause Cancel and Controls Lock/Unlock) and
repeat step 2.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It came up with "F 25"

You have a thermistor that is bad. Thermistors are temperature sensors. If they send a bad signal to the control unit it can cause all kinds of problems.

The testing procedures are below. You will need an ohm meter to do the measurements with. If you dont have one you can get one at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. for about 12 bucks.

F:25 flashes if the inlet thermistor isshorted. This fault code appears ONLY

when in the Diagnostic Test Mode.

■ See TEST #4a, page 7.

\graphic