Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I am having a problem with a GE washer model wdsr2080d5ww.

I am having a problem with a GE washer model wdsr2080d5ww. Unit timer does not stop at end of cycle... continues around indefinitely until the knob is pulled out. Also, unit does not fill at all. I am guessing this is an issue with the timer mechanism but not sure how to verify this.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

You are exacty right, there is nothing else that could cause the timer to continue to rotate other than the timer motor itself. If the washer will run indefinitely and the knob just keeps turning around, you need to order and replace the timer and below is a link to the part you need to order and replace.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I purchased the timer you recommended and replaced it to find the washer still doing the same thing. After some more research and troubleshooting, it turns out the tubing to the pressure switch was clogged and simply blowing it out fixed the problem. I am sure you felt your advice was sound, however now I am out $120 for a timer I don't need...
So, maybe I just didn't understand what you were saying, but the pressure switch will not cause the timer to cycle indefinitely. The only thing the pressure switch can do is either not sense the water properly and cause the washer to (1) start agitating right away and never filling up with water because it thinks that it's full of water, or (2) cause the washer to continue to fill and overflow the tub because it's not sensing the water level and doesn't think there is water in the tub.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have a wiring diagram, but apparently the pressure switch being closed at the end of a cycle allows the timer motor to continue running. Normally the tank would be empty and the switch would be open, however with it closed it is passing power to the timer motor circuit. I tested it a few times with the hose pinched off and it would not stop. With the hose open, everything operates normally.
That really doesn't make a whole lot of sense but the important part is that the washer is running again so I'm glad that it's working either way.