Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

SUCCESFULLY CHANGED A WORN BELT IT IS AGITATING FINE BUT

SUCCESFULLY CHANGED A WORN BELT
IT IS AGITATING FINE
BUT WHEN SPINNING IT MAKES A VERY LOUD RATCHETING SOUND
THERE IS AN OILY SMELL IN THE CABINET
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 4 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.

What is the model number of your unit, please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Amana LWD70AW
I am sorry but I do not have the information you require. I will opt out and another expert may be able to assist you.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your honesty how do I contact another techSmile
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

the ratcheting sound is caused by a worn Plastic helix, transmission drive pulley, you need to replace it. this is under ten dollars and you can order it @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Gear/40047402/889619 they come with instructions. its fairly easy to replace tip the machine back and the main transmission pulley has a C clip remove that and then the pulley and the helix gear is above that . hope this helps. thanks ,Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The part is actually rotating and slipping over the other half. Is this a spring loaded mechanism? can it be adjusted? Is the oily smell normal or is oil leaking from the transmission and lubricating something that shouldn't be?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well the oily smell is most likely the plastic heating up. if you don't have any actual oil on the floor. the helix is not spring loaded it centrifugal and when the motor spins it the helix pushes up and engages the spin. we do a lot of these so trust me thats the issue, there is no adjustment unfortunately, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Brian just finished installing the Helix 40047402 and matching pulley 40047102 both need to be changed as a match set since the dimensions are different than the original parts they replace I believe this information should have been part of your answer. After starting the washer it agitated well as before but still does not engage the spin it does the same loud ratcheting sound it did before the parts were changed in the end the informnation provided was not usefull to repair the problem.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
sorry to hear that. the transmission itself is bad unfortunately. its difficult sometimes for us to be 100% correct on line. a transmission if you wanted to repair this would need to be done by a tech. theres special tools required to release the spring loaded brake.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry Brian but as soon as I mentioned the operating difficulty of the washer to a local tech which a friend contacted he inmediately gave a bad transmission diagnostic "Sorry to hear that" is not acceptable your answers have a satisfaction warranty I want my fee refunded.