Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a fridigair ref. that is not running. When I plug it

I have a fridigair ref. that is not running. When I plug it in the compressor starts & runs for about 30 seconds then shuts off. The amperage on the compressor starts at 17 then drops to 1.11 amps. When it stabelizes at 1.11 for about 3 sec. it shuts off.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Do you have the model number so I can better assist you ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Model # XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay you need to replace the compressor relay, you can order this on line or if you have a local supply house pick one up. they have had major problems with these. heres the link to order one on line if you wish. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there a way to test this relay? I have been told by others that they think it is in the motherboard
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well the best way to tell if its the mother board is to test for 120 volts going to the relay. if its getting 120 volts the board is good and the relay is bad. if not the board is at fault.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Read voltage at motherboard going to compressor. First starts 120, then after about 30 sec. I hear a relay click, the compressor stops and voltage drops to 0.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

OK, good job. If your losing the voltage it is the board. # XXXXX on this diagram. this is located under the refrigerator by the condenser coils, usually these come out through the front behind the grill at the bottom. its in a box. you need to order and replace it. heres a link to order it. thanks and best wishes, Bryan