Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

I have a 1 year old Kenmore Refrigerator (model no. 795.71302.012).

Customer Question

I have a 1 year old Kenmore Refrigerator (model no. 795.71302.012). About 3 months ago, it started making a loud noise while the circulation fan is running. The noise comes from the lower freezer area. I surmised that the fan was hitting ice that had collect and turned of the power and removed the freezer drawer. I then used a hair dryer to blow warm air into the fan housing. Noise gone. But within about 3 weeks it returns.

Is this a design flaw. Is there a fix? I don't relish melting routine every three weeks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

you have a defrost issue. the defrost system in the refrigerator isn't working. do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

OK. after pulling up your model the problem is the defrost thermostat, this is a common failure on these. its part # XXXXX on this diagram.what you need to do is take the freezer apart again and while this is still cold (it has to be cold to test) unplug it and test it for continuity. it should have continuity. if not replace it. theres a link below where you can order it. this runs the defrost heater and if its bad this will not defrost so the problem will come back after a few weeks.

link to part

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/6615JB2005C/1268258?modelNumber=795.71302012

thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the thermostat accessible from the front or do I have to come at it from the back?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
you need to remove the panel inside the freezer behind your food . # XXXXX on the diagram. once thats off you will see the evaporator coils and the thermostat is on the side of the coils, theres a plug to unplug it so you can test it. also after you test it take the hair dryer and defrost the coils completely and then put the cover back in. it will run correctly until the part arrives.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I've taken so long to "accept" and rate your answer. I wanted to to get into the first phase of this job so that I could makes sure there were no complications, but it turned out that I was unable to get to the job until 11:30PM. Anyway things went smoothly. I disconnected the thermostat discovered that there are four different leads (two circuits). One showed no resistance and the other did. I've gone ahead and ordered the part through the RepairClinic link you provided, but it would be helpful if you guys provided a little more info (in this case, e.g., check for continuity between the red and brown wires). Remember, your customers are using your services because they have no manuals! I plan to "Accept answer" (if this fix the problem, I will have saved a bundle), but could someone please confirm which of the four leads in the plug were to be check for continuity? Thanks in advance for you help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
The answer was fine as far as it went, but technicians don't anticipate what information will be needed. Follow up are required but they frequently can't be there when the follow-up question is posed.
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 2 years ago.
Bryan is off line so is there anything i can help with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know if you have access to the thread, but Bryan had advised me to check for continuity in the defrost thermostat, but he didn't specify which circuit (there are two pairs of wires). One pair (the orange pair) showed no resistance; the brown and red pair did. Thanks.
when you removed the inside back panel was the coil covered in frost?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh yes, Everything was iced-up and the fan blades were knocking against some ice.
was it ice or was it frost?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ice. Chunks were around the fan (hence the noise) and a lot was stuck on the panel that I removed as well,
you do need to replace the sensor Bryan was telling you about and you should get continuity though both sides but you also need to replace the freezer door gasket, its sucking air from somewhere around the door to be causing the ice itself to build up around the fan and the part number for the door gasket is ADX52752607 which cost about $37 and between both of these it will fix all your problems ,, thanks
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service