Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my whirlpool washing machine has an open hole on the side of

my whirlpool washing machine has an open hole on the side of the center agitator that leaks a yellow-orange stain to my clothes. Please help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have the full model # XXXXX I can better assist you ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Bryan, it is SM8525079
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Is this the agitator in yours? if so can you tell me where the oil is comming from on it ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes it is. there are rectangular holes around the center column and the "oil" seeps out from there are goes downward around the spirals of the center column

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

okay this is not the best news, the transmission is whats leaking the yellow oily substance. its actually transmission oil. the seal on the shaft of the transmission has failed. unfortunately the transmission itself would need to be replaced to fix the issue. its more than just a seal the shaft has oblong and wore the seal. the transmission is around $182.00 you can order one at the following link if you wish. theres also a video to show you how to replace it there.

heres the link

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Transmission/3360629/423?modelNumber=LSQ9010KQ0

thanks, Bryan