Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

The motor on the ice maker/water fill turns on and runs its

The motor on the ice maker/water fill turns on and runs its cycle every 4-5 minutes. I've unplugged and plugged back in the fridge, turned the freezer control to off and reset, vacuumed the back of the fridge to remove all dust. There are no kinks in the copper coil or water hose. What's next?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us the full model # XXXXX the make ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a KitchenAid fridge with bottom freezer/ice maker-approx 6 years old.

Model # XXXXX 5.0 oz R134a

Mfg # XXXXX 115 VAC/60Hz
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay so the ice maker is constantly cycling ? you say it puts water in and then 4-5 minutes later it does that again? is it overfilling ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it is not overfilling. I do not believe it's putting additional water in the maker, rather the motor keeps turning on and off again. As of last night, it was making ice.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay let me make sure I understand correctly, are you saying the ice maker is the issue or the ice dispenser ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure. How can I make that determination? All l know is that motor that runs to fill the maker keeps turning on and off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well theres no motor that fills the ice maker but the is a valve. if this is making ice and not overfilling then I doubt the valve is the issue however. are you hearing a buzzing noise or something that sounds like a fan or motor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I hear a buzzing noise and then it clicks off. In the past, this is the noise I hear when the maker is filling with water.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
This is very important, can you pull the refrigerator away from the wall and get in behind it and listen for the noise ? is it comming from the back down the bottom where the compressor is ? its very important we find out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I pulled it out and listened. The buzz or hummmm is coming from near the bottom. It begins and ends with an audible click and last for about 20 seconds.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay thats what I thought .soon your whole refrigerator is going to get warm.the buzz and click you hear is the compressor relay. its failing. you haven't noticed the refrigerator getting warm yet but it will.. you need to order and replace the relay as soon as possible. do you have an appliance supply warehouse near you ? if so the part # XXXXX XXXXX and you need to get one as soon as possible. if you have none near you heres a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Overload/67002527/1007207?modelNumber=KBRA22KLBT01 in the meantime if you have another refrigerator you can transfer your food to I would. this is going to get warm. the compressor is not starting. hope this helps. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Bryan. Looks like the part is small and should be relatively easy to install ourselves, correct?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes its very easy to install. remove the cover along the bottom back of the refrigerator and you will see the relay on the side of the compressor, it just plugs in. unplug the refrigerator and pry the relay of the compressor. the new one plugs right on the same way. there is a black capacitor plugged onto the relay that also pry's straight off and plugs onto the new relay. real easy to do. I'm glad we caught this before you found a surprise and all your food defrosted. Smile thanks and have a great day, Bryan